Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Baby names
  • molgrips
    Free Member

How common is Megan for a girl? I like it but it’s apparently really well used lately.

Stoner
    Free Member

97th in 2008
    92nd in 2007
    Not top 100 before that.
    So going out of fashion then 🙂

http://www.babynames.com/Names/Popular/

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

If you like it,it doesn’t matter if it’s in vogue ,or not.

Watty

Young Dave’s got a wise head on those young shoulders. Indeed, if you like a name, and it’s not bloody silly, go for it. Megan’s a lovely classic name that’ll never go out of fashion and is coincidently the name of my youngest (though nearly 16) boy*!!!

*only kidding

molgrips
    Free Member

If you like it,it doesn’t matter if it’s in vogue ,or not.

I’m not asking if it matters, I’m asking how many Megans you know… I’ll decide if it matters or not 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

if it is the top 100 it is just not niche enough sorry

PS I only know one

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ooo…get you molgrips!

hillsplease

One Megan here in my Thea’s class at school.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Megan’s a nice name, I think its quite common now tho’ IMHO

We’re going through baby names too and as Mrs.Tank is a Taffy we’ve come up with Seren (means star in Welsh) if the bairn’s a girl of course.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think Darcy’s a fabulous name for a girl!

nickc

It’s not always going to be a baby…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Tankslapper I’ve always loved the name “seren” for a girl (oh dear way up with us Taffs!). I only know one Megan I think “Eve” or “Evie” has been mega popular lately.

mudpup
    Free Member

Don’t know any Megans amongst my 5yr olds mates
    Whatever you choose, they will grow into their name
    Personally i quite like Sprocket

eldridge
    Free Member

I’ve been teaching for 30 years

taught a lot of Megans

Not a wrong’un amongst them – all been fantastic, well-balanced, high-achieving

Go for it

geoffj

I’ve known 2 Megans. Both absolutely gorgeous 😆

StirlingCrispin

The popularity of names for Scotland are given here:
    http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/publications-and-data/popular-names/index.html

Gives you rank and also the number of children registered every year. The most common names are very common and then it drops off considerably. Some of the unusual names are very unusual!
    A bit of jiggery-pokery in Excel allows you to calculate the frequency of each name.

With Thud we thought we had a fairly unique name (Hayden), although every other Scottish kid is called hud, and then we met another Thud in the park. For Wifey and Me there is only the one.

project
    Free Member

Most people call their kids GA GA OR GOO goo as thats the name most people call the baby when they first see them.

Megans a lovely name, unusual, and Welsh.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s also the name of possibly the very first girl I actually liked. I was only about 9 at the time, and I didn’t really know at the time but I think I might’ve been quite fond of the lass. Megan Morrison from Leominster – if you’re reading, 😉

Garry_Lager

Megan is really nice. I was keen on Siobhan for our kid, if it was a girl. Everyone I mentioned it to practically threw up – like I was suggesting Moon Unit or something. Turned out to be a boy in the end so it was all moot.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’m not asking if it matters, I’m asking how many Megans you know… I’ll decide if it matters or not [:)]

Dave Gorman is the expert on the frequency of names appearing in the population.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Baby names’ is closed to new replies.