Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Baby Bike Bash – relaxing the attendece criteria
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

This was invitation only but a few have dropped out so if you fancy giving Southampton Bike Park a go sign on here

Baby Bike Bash

Saturday April 23rd 2016

The Location

Southampton Bike Park | The Outdoor Sports Centre | Southampton | SO16 7AY

The Event

This amazing event is returning to the roots of the Big Bike Bash as held in my garden. We are stripping out all of the organisation, competitions, prizes and facilities that make the current Big Bike Bash such a phenomenon and I have simply borrowed the Southampton Sports Centre for the day. There will be stuff to do and an approximate agenda as shown below and if I can blag some stuff I will give it away as prizes but don’t bank on it.

11am Meet at Southampton Bike Park (earlier if you want)

11am – 3pm Assorted races and free practice at the Bike Park including but not limited to:

Dual Races

Pump Track

Trick Jump

Daisy Cutter Descent

Daisy Cutter 2 – The uphill sprint

Eating whatever lunch you brought or nipping round the corner to Tesco

Sun/rain bathing

3pm-4pm Crazy Golf and / or Tennis

I have secured the use of the Tennis courts and Crazy Golf course so do as you please

4pm – 5pm Ski Slope Madness – Ringos

I have secured an hour of ‘Ringo Time’ on the dry ski slope.

There are a couple of conditions for this:

Must wear long sleeves and gloves

Max of 30 on the slope at any one time

You need to share your email address with Active Nation for ‘Info Alert emails’

6pm – 7pm BBQ

BBQ will either be in the Bike Park BBQ or at my house depending on numbers and weather. I will have some food there but Beer, wine etc you will have to bring yourselves or buy at the local Tesco

7pm – ??? Chatting, drinking, talking rubbish etc

The event will officially close around 7pm but you are welcome/expected to stay on and party for a while. There will be camping (no vans) available but this will just be next to the cricket pitches so don’t expect luxuries such as toilets or running water. You will be able to use the changing room facilities on the Sunday morning for toilets and washing if you do stay over.

The Back Story

About five years ago I came up with the idea of Southampton Bike Park. After a year of negotiation with the Southampton Council and Active Nation I got the go ahead to build it. I gathered a crowd of friends, strangers and other riders and started digging. I then got too busy with work and snapped my foot off which limited the time I could spend there. I handed the day to day running over to a guy called Luis who did a great job but in the last year he has got all loved up so hasn’t had the time to commit to the maintenance and fund raising required.

My work has steadied down a bit and my ankle has been fused so I am stepping back in to take some responsibility for what I created.

This is free to attend but I would really like some voluntary donations if you do come along.

I want to raise a hundred quid or so to get tools for the ongoing maintenance such as a strimmer or two so we can keep the place looking neat. I also want to get things like display boards / chalk boards so that when we run events we have something other than a mobile phone to record the results. Active Nation have already allocated money for ongoing maintenance costs but this doesn’t cover capital expenditure on tools and equipment.

The Deal

Free but donations VERY welcome

If you want to come to the event then please post on here to confirm this.

If your friend / partner is coming along to hold the child’s hand or just sit smiling in the sunshine then I will leave it to your judgement / conscience and I will take money on the day if necessary

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Bumped for the evening crowd

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Who fancies a day of fun and games in sunny Southampton?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    caspian
    Free Member

You’ve created a good looking spot there. I hope some less busy people can attend and do the place justice. Good luck with it.

Sat 23rd is my first day home with my three kids after four weeks away for work so I can’t attend.

We built bar end trails in Winchester. Some weekends – 70 people on the roll-in. Nowadays, no-one. Nowt so queer as folk.

Are you able to ride jumps with a fused ankle?

scaredypants

FFS, I’ve been on holiday for every BBB and I’m working that weekend 🙁

Happy to donate to a good cause though (especially when ONE day I might even get the bike over there). PP address WCA ?

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry WCA, ended up with a clash that weekend.
    Hope it goes well!

northernmatt

Can you come to Sunderland and build one of them up here please?

Looks awesome, is miles away, no chance unfortunately. Have you tried the local B&Q for a free strimmer in return for some advertising of somesorts?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Hi all
    Sorry to here you can’t make it Daz, I will keep your money if that’s okay.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

was planning to go to Si’s mtbmeetup that weekend but might consider coming down south instead WCA….

DT78
    Free Member

Might be able to pop by and say hi with my boy for half an hour or so, progress there has been really good. Sadly after too many broken bones and now dad duties I’m grounded from attempting jumpy type stuff

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

DT78 – I am sat here with one fused ankle, a black bruised big toe and a purple sprain on the other ankle. Just how much jumpy crap do you think there will be!

😉

Come along and see what is happening. It will be good to say Hi. It will basically just be a bunch of us pissing about on bikes. I was about to write up a plan of events but decided just to wing it on the day.

Simon from Green Oil is coming and said he might bring along some Green Oil goodies which is brilliant and unrequested which is even brillianter

Might use this rainy morning to wander around the local bike shops and see if I can blag some prizes but the idea is to have fun rather than compete too hard. Leave the Strava head at home.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Went to the Southampton Bike Park at 10am and just got back.

Drainage has been improved and a few of the puddles have been filled.

BBQ was a nice touch for lunch and we have added a beer cooler now as well.

A good day!

atlaz
    Free Member

My dad would have come along but he’s just had eye surgery and he’s off the bike (and not driving either) for a few weeks so couldn’t even get down there to watch. Might have to come down and have a look next time I’m in town though

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was going to ask why you weren’t coming but I guess it is a bit of a trek from Luxembourg.

400mg ibuprofen, 2 tramadol, 3 Duval and a sauna and my body no longer hurts. Result!

Bring on the Baby Bike Bash

Donations via PayPal are welcome but please but something about Baby Bike bash in the comments so I know.

Cheerrs

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Some of the medals are being created as we speak by a local artist of some repute

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FumUbB]20160419_125859[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GgtDgG]20160419_125905[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

You don’t want to miss out on prizes like these!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Presidents Trophy has just been delivered

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gp2Siw]20160420_141549[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gp2Siw]20160420_141549[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Bump for the evening before

Come along at any point to enjoy some fun and give money to a great cause.

Cheers and good night

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Baby Bike Bash – relaxing the attendece criteria’ is closed to new replies.