Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Babies on Bikes
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

9+ months seems to be the recommended age but has anyone put theirs on earlier?

Our boy is just over 6 months so was thinking on just doing short trips to his water babies classes once a week which will be about 1 mile each way. Is this sensible?

The alternatives being:
    pushing the pram
    walking with him in a carrier
    or worse case driving (which I’d rather not).

adjustablewench
    Free Member

You may want this thread 🙂

friendly stw parenting advice 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Expected something different in this thread..

*is disappoint

jam-bo

My lad was alway knackered after water babies. I’d take the pram.

garage-dweller

As jam bo said. Imo 7 months too young. I have 2 boys. Youngest is built like a brick outhouse (95%Ile) and with strength to match. In a topeak rack seat we started at about 9 months. He was strong enough then.

moniex
    Free Member

At least 9 months. My mum (in holland) told me stories of babies that died going in a bike seat too early (no, not in a crash). I think the parents thought the little one had gone to sleep 😯

Over there they did use to sell a bracket to clip the maxi cosi onto the rear carrier. Not sure if they still do.

Pook

YOU’RE AN IDIOT! YOU’RE AN EVIL PARENT! YOU SHOULD BE LOCKED UP! BE ASHAMED, BE VERY ASHAMED.

Etc.

tomaso
    Free Member

I think it was about a year old for my two. There is no hurry, safety first :mrgreen:

leffeboy

The general advice seems to be to wait until they can hold their head up on their own. Otherwise stick a maxicosi in a trailer. Trailers rock because you can keep them going through winter when you would give up on the bike seat because of the rain/snow

hora
    Free Member

Think about their neck. Its still a struggle to support their head. Plus if you did fall…helmet?

Skull isnt knitted together fully.

Of course there will be impatient chancer stw’ers…

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve read Pooks thread and am happy to wait. The seat I’m buying says 9 months+.

He’s been holding his head up since 4 months but I’m not going to rush it.

When I lived in the Netherlands, they put babies on bikes about 6 months old, that’s why I asked really.

Pook

I’m not known as pook any more. I’m Evil Pook The Bad Parent

hora
    Free Member

He’s been holding his head up since 4 months but I’m not going to rush it.

I know but its neck muscles from sudden deceleration etc. Trust me I was trying to get my son onto a balance bike before he could walk.

Patience young Jedi.

As for you Evil Pook hiss off!

joemarshall
    Free Member

My lad was alway knackered after water babies. I’d take the pram.

Swimming is a real sleep inducer. I took Rose to swimming in the bike trailer every week from about 8 months, and she *always* slept on the way back. Was very useful, because it was the best part of an hours ride away over some big hills, and meant she wasn’t needing milk or changing or anything so no stopping needed. That was in the special suspended baby sling designed to support a baby from 12 weeks old though, which is obviously designed for them to fall asleep in (and no helmet for that, so no worries about any risks from wearing a heavy helmet).

TiRed

I used to ride with mine in a Baby Bjorn. Then a baby seat and finally a kiddyback tandem. Never any problem riding the bridleway to the nursery. When they are too big for front mounting it’s time to move them to a back seat. I liked the bouncy seat-tube mounted version, but the kiddy back used a rack mount.

He’s 16 now and it seems not to have damaged him. Watch for the drop offs though 😈

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Babies on Bikes’ is closed to new replies.