Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Babies, hospital bags and what to take?
  • organic355
    Free Member

The 18th December is looming and the wife has her hospital bag all organised, and she asked me what I was planning on taking for me!?!

Never really crossed my mind before as getting all her stuff organised, but seeing as we could be at the hospital for anything from 5 – 48 hours, maybe longer, I was wondering what the man should plan on taking?

Was thinking clean pair of plunders, socks, some deodorant, clean tshirt, some cash, maybe some snacks, phone charger, glucose tablets etc maybe the hip flask? 🙂

Any advice on what I need? (assuming the wife has everything she needs)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

how about going to the pub instead?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tooth brush? Some iPad like device or a good book, there can be hours where nothing happens. Don’t forget nappies (for the baby, not you!) as the hospital we were at expected us to have brought some.

dooosuk
    Free Member

We froze some bottles of water and took those.

Helped quench thirst created from the gas & air more than the tap water they provided.

Book/magazine to read.

Camera(if not in your wife’s bag).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Definitely a change of clothes. Maternity units are EFFING HOT!! Other than that, might I suggest something for your entertainment, but only to be taken out if she’s getting rest and it’s a long drawn out process. Lots of food and snacks too. Other than that your only reason to be there is to mop her brow with a cold flannel, convince her she can do it and that she’s the most amazing person in the world. And not to get in the way or over-excited.

Just under a year ago for me. Getting slightly emotional writing that stuff up there. 😳

anagallis_arvensis

some food and drink camera that’s about it

pictonroad

coins for the machines (I took paper money and starved) and food. It can be a looooooong time…

anagallis_arvensis

oh and remember the first rule of dad club DO NOT STRAY FROM THE HEAD END!!

dannybgoode

For your wife I would suggest packing two bags. One an overnighter on the basis if all goes to plan that’s all you’ll need and the other a weeker in case she ends up having to stay in for any reason.

I speak from experience – Mrs D took an overnighter and ended up being in for 6 nights. I had to go back and pack a longer stay bag and to be fair made a right hash of it!!

For you – food. You may be there some hours and the mother gets fed, you don’t.

Final tip (non-bag related) – make sure you have a go on the gas and air whenever possible – its a proper giggle…

Cheers

Danny B

geoffj

Little sign to place on the bed, reminding you to stay at the head end.

althepal

Change of tshirt/underwear and toiletries. Snacks/water/juice for your mrs AND you!
    Ipod/mp3 with decent speakers. Phone charger as you might be there a while. Plenty of cash/spare change for parking. Keep everything topped up on the car as well.
    Have a few babysitters on standby too if you have kids already..

Kryton57

Final tip (non-bag related) – make sure you have a go on the gas and air whenever possible – its a proper giggle…

+1

A walking stick, I pulled a calf muscle whilst just standing from the head end. A cushion – both times for me they only had one of those grey plastic chairs to sit on.

mrblobby
    Free Member

coins for the machines

Good idea to scope these out on a earlier visit. Always good to know where the best snacks can be found 🙂

Never has the phrase “what has been seen cannot be unseen” been more appropriate!

wiggles
    Free Member

Take some food, camera etc.

Don’t sneak off for a subway… You won’t live that one down trust me.

puppypower
    Free Member

You do know first babies are usually a week late right?
    My first was due on 18th Dec, it made for interesting Xmas day.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Our first was two weeks early. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Our first was on the due date, surprisingly unexpected!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Our first was two weeks early.

And the second?

😉

organic355
    Free Member

Ill not be going anywhere near the other end, Ive heard its like ruining your favorite pub forever!

kimbers

be careful though

some scally nicked our camera from the delivery room when we had to go to theatre!

also do you have to pay for parking etc, take lots of change, money for the shop, you may get bored and need a stroll

+1 for you may be in longer than you think so extra clothes for mum and baby

either way have fun!!

fasthaggis

As above,the small bag of her things stays packed and ready to go,you can always nip back for more.
    Food,radio/music and change for parking
    ( they don’t care about your lovely time,those vultures will ticket you)

Oh,and obviously mountains of your solid,manly support 😉

mossimus
    Free Member

Not bag related but when you get there see if you are entitled to a parking discount. I spent about £60 on car parks before I found out I could get reduced rate of £2.50 per day.

bokonon
    Free Member

I would echo the effing hot comments – I took shorts and wore them throughout – in January with snow on the ground outside.

Phone charger – not supposed to use it inside, but you will want to phone as soon as you’re all done – phone out of battery will lead to disappointment.

The other thing is you don’t get fed, your wife does, if it’s a big hospital (if you’ve got the coins) this is no problem, if it’s not, then take some food – you could be in for the long haul.

Know what you are going to say when they ask you if you want to cut the cord, be prepared for them to flash a great big mirror down there and ask you if you want to look – they are not newsreaders and don’t give you a warning to look away now.

Drac

The usual.

Nappies
    Feed
    Baby Clothes
    The Baby’s hat
    Your good lady’s clothed and personals
    Magazines/Books or as iPad I suppose these days
    Camera
    Phone most will let you use it

You are not likely to be there for 48 hours, if it’s anything much more than a few hours before it’s due and there’s no complications then you will be sent home to wait it out.

Ask about permits for expecting fathers for the car park.

Take snacks and drinks for both of you.

If the canteen is good then use that the ward may offer to ring you if there’s sudden change but you normally get ample notice so will know when it’s Ok to risk it.

natrix
    Free Member

you don’t get fed

Depends on the hospital, at Frimley Park my missus floated around in the birthing pool while I lounged on a mattress on the floor being fed tea and toast by the midwives – NHS at its best 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, I was rather lucky in that the hospital where Little Miss CFH was born was jolly well equipped with a very good French deli across the road for food. Oh, and bike distance from home, so no parking issues.

Otherwise, some more sensible things;

Shower/gel and a towel. You can always find somewhere to sneak off for a shower, and if it’s a long delivery, you’ll really appreciate it.
    Buckets of flapjack – You know the sort, from the supermarket. Not just for you, but for all the wonderful staff who’ll be helping. They’ll all appreciate a quick snack!
    Tablet loaded with films etc – Hospital TV is a disgrace, and paying for it even more so. Take your own.
    Chargers – Obviously
    Camera – As above, keep an eye on things from a security standpoint, but the single best photo I have ever taken was mere seconds after the girl came in to the world.

Plan B. And Plan C. Your role will be to be the voice, to explain what’s wanted when the wife can’t. Talk to her extensively beforehand, because you’ll need to know what she’s thinking wanting even before she does.

Best of luck, and it’s so utterly worthwhile!

jekkyl

When my little one came along my wife was in labour for 2 days then an emergency section, lots of fun! The hospital wouldn’t let us plug anything in so I’d recommend taking some battery powered speakers and an ipod with a huge play list of chilling tunes, especially helpful if you’re wife is away in la la land on drugs. A big flask of decent coffee and a battery powered charger for your phone/ipad. Maybe give em a ring about their mains charger policy. 3 changes of newborn clothes coz if she does end up having a section she won’t be coming out next day. Have fun!

prawny

I took nothing with either of mine, I wasn’t particularly bored or hungry. With the second the boss went into labour in the night and she was born before 7, I thought we’d make it for a maccies breakfast on the way home but they must have changed shifts at 7 and we were left waiting around. Finally got home about 8 o’clock in the evening. I had a snickers for lunch.

So my advice is take money, and food. There’s normally a newsagents downstairs where you can pick up a magazine or something

crankboy
    Free Member

My memory has now faded/been erased but I am fairly sure we went in on Saturday night and crankbrat was hauled out on Tuesday am if my wife says it was Wednesday I would believe her. I was with her the whole time except for feeding the ever open mouth of the hospital car park ticket machine and a couple of runs to the canteen . a big book a lot of pound coins and a range of balanced snacks if I was doing it again I would also take my sleeping mat. oh and more coins.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

can be hours where nothing happens

Or not. 😉

Our first was 6 days early. Took 3 hours 45 start to finish. Luckily the hospital is about 500 yards from home. Still managed to hit 70mph though (it was 1am)

We should have learned. Second was also 6 days early, took 3 hours 15 mins, start to finish.

Short and sharp. Zero to 1:30 intervals between contractions in no time at all, rapidly decreasing to minute intervals. Fun!

Anyway, bag advice:
    Bottles of water to drink
    Flannel or 2 for the mopping of sweaty brows
    water-spray can thing, for cooling of sweaty brows.
    box of muesli bars (for you) to keep your strength up.
    Tens machine for the good lady, worked wonders.
    Camera.
    Change of clothes for the lady for afterwards. You don’t want the blood and slime ruining the first photos do you?
    Phone (fully charged) and charger for texting/calling afterwards. Then switch it off for a few hours to enjoy it.

And no matter what, if you get the chance to wander from the head end, do it! The most amazing thing you’ll ever see!

daveh
    Free Member

Pasties.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Dont offer advice or help to the professionals
    Stay away from the operational drop zone
    Avoid incoming missiles from the delivery unit
    Ensure the delivery unit is well supplied with provisions
    Do not under any circumstances take cover in the rear echelons (coward)
    Take a sharp object to stab your hand with if you are feeling faint
    Expect the drop zone operators to abuse you when you do faint

GO TO THE PUB/FAKE INJURY/MOVE OUT – some of the better advice I as a proud dad can give you

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Oh, and bike distance from home, so no parking issues.

You managed to get her on a tandom?

What’s this?

My advise would be either LSD or ketamine,…or both to really make the gas and air come alive.

Davesport

Juggling balls & a Hacky sack got me through the most boring bits. They provide gas & air for the gory stuff.

D.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

What’s this?

“For some people, a transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) machine is used as an alternative to painkilling medication. A TENS machine is a small portable, battery-operated device which is worn on the body. The box is attached by wires to sticky pads stuck to the skin. Small electrical pulses are transmitted to the body, like little electric shocks. This can help to ease pain in some people with certain types of pain. Although there is not much robust proof that TENS machines work, many people do find them very helpful. The advantage is that TENS is well tolerated and largely without side-effects.”

Part way through her first labour, my wife commanded me to take it off as the sticky pads were irritating her.
    1 minute later she screamed “Put the f—ing thing back on!!!”
    Clearly worked…

Sui
    Free Member

ah TENS machines. What you SHOULD NOT do, is when your missus asks you move the wires is unplug the thing, and then plug it back in whilst it’s still on……… It results in a rather large surge to the pads… That caused many angry faces.

bokonon
    Free Member

1 more thing – CD’s!

I spent the whole of the first birth listening to Neil Young’s Harvest Moon on repeat because there was crap all any good in the selection of CD’s in the room itself – take your own just in case. (this was 10 years ago and stuff may have changed. My personal preference is for a home birth, second two were both at home, and I sat and watched TV throughout, much easier…)

daveh
    Free Member

Or turn the output up instead of down, especially 3 times, if you’re daft enough to take a proper tens machine instead of the pregnancy ‘just push a button’ type ones. Much anger the first time, but the third time….. Don’t dare to get tired either.

natrix
    Free Member

Don’t forget an indelible marker pen so that you can make sure yours doesn’t get muddled up with somebody else’s bundle of joy.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Take a pair of speedos for a dip in the birthing pool

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Babies, hospital bags and what to take?’ is closed to new replies.