Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ayup fubared and then bodged back together
  • trout
    Free Member

Got this ayup in that was not working with a request to do what ever to make it work again .

when I finally worked out how to get in to the bugger I found it all burnt and hot smelling , it seems the resistor had given up and let the leds get too much juice so they died too .
    so long story short put in 2 XPE leds and a couple of new reflectors and added a cheap driver and whilst the inline driver is very un pretty potted in epoxy it works a treat .

and a beam shot in my usual location .

sending it back to its owner tomorrow so he will ba able to say if it is an improvement over the stock leds .

it draws 930 ma from the battery so should do 2.5 or more hours on a charge from the 2.6 amp hr battery

JohnClimber
    Free Member

sending it back to its owner tomorrow

And about bloody time………..;-)

I can't wait to use them this Thursday.

Don't forget to send me your address so I can the the pennies to you

trout
    Free Member

Have just put the battery on charge so it will be full when you get it .

J0N
    Free Member

Very interesting. Nice job. I'd love to see a longer write up on this as i'm considering an upgrade myself. However, I was led to believe that the ay up's battery contained the proper driver circuitry. I this is the case Would this not conflict with the driver in the head unit.

trout
    Free Member

Jon
    this was the first time I have had one in bits
    I dont know what is in the newer ones but this one had no driver just a resistor to to limit the current so only one setting ON .

now I know how to get in to them easily if I do any more it will be a doddle .

there is no room in the light for any sort of off the peg driver which is why I have put one in the power line ,it could have gone in the battery but it was a new one from smudge and plastidipped so did not want to destroy the coating .

also the o.rings self destructed on taking apart so had to sort of bodge the reassembly a bit and time will tell how well it survives
    there will be soon this led board from cutters
    http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut992
    and twinned with this reflector
    http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut980
    which is the same ones I used in this conversion .

so with the led board above the driver is on board so a real easy mod to do for a beam like the pic.

J0N
    Free Member

Thanks trout. Interesting about the battery and resistor only arrangement. I think i'll be patient one more year. No point in potentially ruining a perfectly good working light. I may upgrade it after that.

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

The resistive only approach of Ayup always got to me as a con over battery run times. Start bright and then slowly dim (reducing power drain) without being noticed but extending run time.

Luminous
    Free Member

Trout.

Nice work there 😉

I'm a bit gob-smacked that the much loved Ay-Ups are resistor controlled/limited.

I assume from other posts here that later set-ups use a bit more hardware ?.

I can help you with the O'Rings, I'll send you a note.

I'd say that this is definately the basis for people to start from if they want to repair their Ay-Ups

🙂

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Trout – Did you make it to the post box today?

trout
    Free Member

Yep sure did all charged and ready to go

Don't forget a ride report tomorrow

markenduro
    Free Member

Trout, have emailed you, let me know if you fancy a crack at reviving a lupine.

trout
    Free Member

Hey up Mark reply sent
    I guess it is out of warranty then

FuzzyWuzzy

Hmm interested in getting my Ay-Ups boosted to, currently they don't throw out quite enough light for a quick descent on the road. I like the tight beam pattern though – does your new reflector diffuse it more?

Podium
    Free Member

Ahh…Sir Trout.Do you think it would be poss to mod an Exposure Diablo,upgrading the P7 and gubbins to something with better beam/burn time?
    Cheers.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Troutie the light turned up today but I'm not riding so I'll do a couple of test shots across the road for you.

Please email me your address as I owe you a few pennies don't I?

trout
    Free Member

Fuzzy
    I will have to let John comment on the beam and intensity as I have no reference point for the ayups
    But I would say it is a very tight beam comparing to other lights I have tested.

If it yets the thumbs up from John as a good upgrade I will post up some pics
    When and if I do another for some victim

john bloody git I bust a gut to get to the post office yesterday 😉

podium
    never had a look at a Diablo but the trouble with the multi LED setups like the P7 is they throw a very floody beam
    And finding the right optic/reflector is not easy and the only other led similar is the MCE and that is a similar led to the p7

Having just had a look at one ont net. Depends on the diameter of the front as to what can be done
    But something will be possible

topangarider
    Free Member

Have a set of Ayups – in lay terms, what does this 'upgrade' mean in terms of output/ burn time? Are they being used with the original battery?

trout
    Free Member

It has a new battery from Smudge but it is the same voltage I believe but the amp hour may be different

It should be a brighter light and a longer burn time , Sounds good but as I have never played with one before it is uncharted territory for me .

So as a user what is the burn time for your ayup from full to empty

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Back garden all new Ay Up trout style test

This the full power of Trouties Lunem Liberator

My new and massively improved Ay Ups

And here's the now blinded Archie who's now looking for compensation off Troutie 😉

To sum up Troutie http://troutie.com/ has made my Ay Ups at least 3 times brighter.

Another bonus is that Trouties still not sent me his address to send my money to.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

trout – Member
    So as a user what is the burn time for your ayup from full to empty

The Ay Up battery I send to Smudge first off which we now know there was nothing wrong with it claimed to be 6 hours. It did run out once on a long night ride after I forgot to recharge it between rides so 6 hours is about right for me.

Smudge – will your new battery you did for me be the same or better?

trout
    Free Member

I really should write stuff down as I have forgotten what it was drawing from the battery .

I am guessing here but as the leds are getting nearly 1 amp you may only get 3 hours burn time .
    as I had no data on what the original Ayup was drawing but for it to last 6 hours then they were not powering the leds very hard probably only half an amp maybe .

with the driver I put inline it would be possible to have a half power setting too ( but not for yours John Sorry )

FuzzyWuzzy

Ooo I like that beam pattern. I've not run mine from full charge to empty in one go but have probably done around 4 hours over 3 rides on a single charge without noticing it dimming (with the stock battery/lights). If that dropped to 3 hours with the new LEDs it wouldn't be a problem for me, I do like the simple on/off with the big rubber button on the battery pack though (rather than having several modes to cycle through).

igm

Thought AyUp claimed to stick the electronics in the battery pack – no?

willy
    Free Member

johnclimber – my gran has a border called archie 😀

Luminous
    Free Member

Thought AyUp claimed to stick the electronics in the battery pack – no?

Unlike Trout and his first Ay-Up light here, I've not yet had an Ay-Up light to have a look at.

But, if there were a driver in the Ay-Up battery pack, then surely there'd be no need for the resistor, and you'd get more than one light level ?.

Judging by Trout's pictures and observations, the Ay-Up looks to be simple and very cheap to make.
    Also, judging what appears to be included, or not included, in an Ay-Up, you may get 4-6 hours runtime, but the LEDs would dim during that time.

A lot of lights now use clever electronics to sustain a certain voltage to the LEDs, during the running of the light, for as long as the battery may last.

joemarshall
    Free Member

They used to have an FAQ on their site about this – saying that they use just a resistor, because the battery voltage is very close to the LED voltage (so a very small resistor is needed), and the discharge curve of the batteries they use is very close to flat (so hardly any dimming).

I don't know how true that is obviously, and how that affects the efficiency.

Joe

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Finally I got out on a proper night ride last night and this time I didn’t forget to take these lights with me.

All I can say is Troutie you’re a genius.

These all new Ay Ups blasted a perfect spotlight cutting through all lights on show including you’re very own flood light Lunem Liberator.

Both lights = perfect night riding lights

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ayup fubared and then bodged back together’ is closed to new replies.