Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ayrshire – Route/Riding Advice
  • will
    Free Member

I’ll be heading upto Ary for 4/5 days around New Year and will be taking the MTB.

Any suggestions on what is a must riding wise around there. Obviously you have Glentrool and Ae which are options, but is there anything else.

XC based riding as well.

maccruiskeen

Drumlanrig will be closer than Ae, and its more handsome, unlike the official Stanes its in mature broadleaf estate land rather than jaggy forestry plantation. Its just a nicer place to be. In a non-trail centre styley then the River Ayr Way takes you from the Ayr to the source of the river beyond Muirkirk, about 40 miles all in. Not all scintillating riding but a nice explore and pretty sheltered for most of the route too. Between Stair and Failford is nice (although I’m not sure if the landslip has been repaired upstream of Stair – it was quite a big and impassable collapse last time I was there but not been that way for a year or so). Ballochmyle Gorge to Sorn is good too (v good food at the Sorn Inn too). Upstream of Sorn can be a bit of a slog in the winter – either boggy or very exposed. But approaching Muirkirk from downstream is good and theres lots of trails heading into the hills above Muirkirk, again pretty exposed though.

Also closer to Ayr is Craufordland, not an ‘official’ trail centre – it exists and you’re allowed to use it but its not managed as a public facility, lacking in ups and downs but has lots of lefts and rights.

will
    Free Member

🙂 That’s great thanks. Time for some OS map studying.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_M
    Free Member

Craufurdland is alright but not really worth a drive to, I live 2 minutes ride from it. Most bits are extremely muddy at the moment so I would give it a miss. The don’t do a ‘mud run’ there for nothing 🙂

what is a must riding wise around there

Nothing ‘must do’ in the local area really, all just bits strung together to make a reasonable ride.

River Ayr Way is nice for a potter along.

maccruiskeen

That’s great thanks. Time for some OS map studying.

With a bit of research there are some fun add-ons local to the River Ayr Way. The RAW’s website has local paths detailed for the towns and villages it passes through so you can add bits, particularly around Catrine and Sorn.

With OS maps be aware that in the more remote areas there has been quite a bit of open cast and the landscape can have changed quite a bit (well…vanished really) since the map was drawn. Even google earth is out of date quite significantly. If you’re getting intrepid double check the map square against Geograph.org to see pictures of what is actually there. But theres no issues close to the areas I’ve mentioned

If you have a road bike then the “ayrshire alps” are worth looking into – graded road routes in sort of the same way trail centres are graded.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ayrshire is very agricultural and as such it’s full of fenced-off fields full of cow shit.

I’d head down to Dumfriesshire if I were you and want some good bike rides.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In general Dan is right, it’s a bit agricultural, but there is some right good riding if you know where to look, or if you know a local.. ahem… 😀

Some of my local riding spots –

I live in Prestwick, right next to Ayr. Gimme an email closer to the time and I’d be glad to show you about. Particularly Fairlie moor, it’s as good as anything I’ve ridden anywhere in the central belt.

will
    Free Member

Cheers NoBeer! I’ll drop you an email. Looks awesome though.

Spin
    Free Member

The best advice I can offer is not to engage in banjo playing contests with locals.

😉

Hells

No Beer, do you mind I i give you a shout next time I’m up home (Dundonald) with the MTB??
    I got into mountain biking when I lived down in Bristol so I’ve never really explored Ayrshire trails! 😳

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No probs, email address in profile, be glad to show you about. It’s flutes round here, spin, not banjos!.

iainc

Nobeer – what about a STW ride round your patch ???

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Phuck that! Got a GMBC one to sort out first!.

iainc

😛

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You going to the AGM tomorrow night Iain? If so, I’ll see ye there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ayrshire – Route/Riding Advice’ is closed to new replies.