Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Aye Up vs Troutie – anyone compared?
  • gixer.john
    Free Member

Missus is looking to buy me a birthday present and being the night riding season i am contemplating a new set of lights.
    I am currently thinking about a Troute D Dominator or Aye Up V 4 Adventure set.

Anyone had a try of both?

ta

carlphillips
    Free Member

had both…
    ay ups very light output is ok fixing system good to both helm & bars.
    battery life good.
    trout (i have lumen liberator) bar mount ace battery mount not ideal/pretty but you dont notice once fixed) output similar to the sun.

i don’t have the ayups anymore…
    but i still have the trout if that helps..

nothing comes close to output and troutie is always willing to help out (often for free.postage) if you have any issues or things tweaked (i upgraded my optics he done the work for free), if i had to buy now then i would buy the trout.

Paulio
    Free Member

I had the first version of the Ay-Ups and currently have a Trout Lumen Liberator. Both used on the bars and with a helmet-mounted Joystick.

Both lights are really well made and can do a good job with run times that I never really found the end of.

Obviously the Trout is way brighter than the Ay-up (although I think the newer ones are brighter than mine was) but I reckon it also gives a much more useful spread of light and has the bonus feature that it probably can also be used to cook food in an emergency situation! I liked that the LEDs of the Ay-ups could be independently positioned, easily provided enough light and are a really neat design but I did find that the bar mount wasn’t great, certainly not as good as the Trout.

Out of the two I’d pick the Trout every time but if I was buying again I think I’d go for an Exposure light just for the neatness of an internal battery.

gixer.john
    Free Member

I already have 4 lumi cycle 2.6ah battery packs, so i am looking at a light / lamp unit that i can use with these – think that the troutie might be the best option.

jedi

i have a troutie dominator. bright enough to burn the leaves on the trees on full 🙂

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Had both, AY Up’s just out of warranty failed and Troutie turbo charged them for me. I’ve since sold them onto a freind and they are still going strong.

I’ve got a Troutie LL on the bars and a Troutie Bastid on my hemet.

So I say Trouties rock & Ay Up’s suck

Nezbo
    Free Member

I’ve had Ay-Up for a couple of years and they have never missed a beat, great weight for performance, Awesome battery life as well.

never used the troutie dominator sorry…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just some Pics of Trouties neighbours in Silsden. I believe his lights are quite bright.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

You’re not kidding, this was the other week with LL and Bastid’s on full and a camera phone shot

Northwind

Ayup are lovely, but still come with pretty old LEDs. Wouldn’t touch them myself, wish they could keep themselves up to date but they seem to spend more effort on the packaging than the performance tbh.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Had my AY-UPS for four years and just got them upgraded which cost just under a hundred pounds. Very impressed with the increased output. Never had a problem with the mounts despite them being quite basic. I ran into a tree a couple of years ago and although they still worked they were egg shaped as a result and I was worried that water might get in. Emailed them and they replaced them free of charge. Very flexible system, having bar and helmet lights has helped a couple of times when a friends light failed. And the three batteries means I’ve never ran out of charge. In car charger means I can charge them up during the day if I’ve forgotten to do it the night before.

deepo
    Free Member

I run an exposure maxx d on the bars and just got some ay-ups for my helmet (the light weight appealled too save neck muscles). I chose the new 40% increased output lights with a narrow beam and I’m absolutely delighted. The ay-ups have a very strong beam,seems brighter than the maxx d, that adds extra distance to the edge of the maxx d’s range of light. Have been so pleased with how bright they are but have no experience of ay-ups before the power increase or the other lights you were asking about.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Aye Up vs Troutie – anyone compared?’ is closed to new replies.