Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ay-Up! (newbie light content, sorry)
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about buying some lights ever since the clocks went back but have so far been unable to make a decision.

I’ve never ridden at night before but would like to so I’m not restricted to just weekend riding during winter. Having read a couple of reviews the Ay-Up! lights are looking really promising. Especially as they’re on offer at the moment.

What I’m unsure about is whether to buy the Multisport or MTB kit. Of course I’d prefer the cheaper option (as there is always something else to spend my money on) but would be willing to stretch my budget if need be.

What do other Ay-Up! owners recommend? What kit did you go for and what are your opinions on their performance?

If I was to go for the Multisport would I be better off choosing a narrow beam and helmet mounting it or intermediate and bar mounting??

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Get the MTB option. I got mine a few months ago and they are great. Maybe not the brightest but they are all the light you need. I was thinking about the cheaper option too but am glad I just spent the extra. This came in handy when my mate didn’t charge his battery properly and had no lights just after we started our ride. We swapped helmets and continued. I like this back up offered by the two sets of lights. Everybody very impressed by them paticularly the size and lack of weight. Get the MTB kit I don’t think you’ll regret it.

teamyeti
    Free Member

buy em,superb.

jim
    Free Member

As above the MTB option works really well, intermediate on the bars and narrow on the helmet.

richc
    Free Member

another option would be just getting 2 dealextreme torches so you can try out night riding before dumping a load of cash on MTB specific lights.

do a search for p7 or dealextreme to find loads of threads on this.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I was in a similar situation, spent ages looking and finally went for the AyUp’s MTB kit. Was bothered that I might be spending a bit more than I wanted but it is a great kit. Everything you will or might need for almost anything from a quick blast to a dusk ’til dawn ride (with little juggling of which lights are on).
    The headband I got for christmas (thanks AyUp) also makes it the best headtorch I have/probably will ever have.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cheers folks, feedback appreciated, time to flex the plastic.

MrSparkle
    stumpy01

As already said, I’d splash the cash on the MTB kit.

I don’t have them, but was in a similar predicament to you last yr. I ended up getting a twin halogen Lumicycle set-up with endurance battery and as soon as I got it all up and running was pleased I’d spent the extra money over a single halogen or smaller battery.

Better to spend a bit more in the first place, than regret a ‘budget’ decision 6 months down the line.

pcb
    Free Member

I run a P7 on my helmet and the new Hope Vision 2 on the bars.

The Hopes give out 480 lumens on max powe and will last for 2 hours.

The high setting last for 4 hours easily and is only a fraction less bright than the max setting. They are well worth looking at.

Sheriff_Fatman

That’s my set that MrSparkle has linked to. They are great lights, but I can’t justify keeping them for what amounts to an hour a day commuting (especially as I snapped the seat tube on my (t)rusty Audax bike today so need to buy a new frame).
    I found that either the Narrow and Intermediate lamps worked well on the bars. When using as a Single lamp setup I preferred the Narrow as it just seemed to have a bit more oomph but you can’t go far wrong with either of them. Used in combination, they’re great!

AdamT

I don’t have them, but 3 of my mates do. They seem excellent. Another vote for using them as a headtorch. I do a bit of offroad night running and I’m told they’re excellent for this (try that with a couple of P7s). Obviously this might not be important to you, but just in case eh?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ay-Up! (newbie light content, sorry)’ is closed to new replies.