Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • ay up lights
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anybody got them?? They seem very popular over here and not sure how you can go wrong with £200 for a twin 320lumen light setup with 2x3hr batteries and 1x6hrLights Linky unless the Au$ gets too strong vs our pound.

Apperently they will do a week turnaround on UK warrenty too

MrTall
    Free Member

Yep, I have the mountainbike set and two of my riding buddies have them also. Very happy with them so far, great burn times and more than enough light. Very neat units and well made.
    Bought mine when Ayup had a uk office but the word is that their customer service is second to none so i’d have no problem with them being in Oz.

epicyclo

I have replaced my NiteRider TriNewt with them. Better, lighter and lighter. 🙂

Northwind

P7 torches? Twice as bright, half the price…

I’ll get me coat :mrgreen: Ayups are lovely, really well made, great company too but they just don’t have the performance IMO. They’re behind the curve on the technology, if they’d update their products with the newer drivers they’d be onto a winner.

stevemorg2

If you go for a trout light (do a search on here) and a 5mudge battery set up you’ll get triple the output for that sort of money though the Hope twin LED (480 lumens, @£180) may also be worth a look

LED technology has moved on and, as Northwind has said Ay-ups are behind the curve

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Got some last year, not a wide beam but you can slightly stagger them for a longer beam and they give me plenty of light for long enough (including a non-stop C2C last summer, had an untouched 3 hour battery come dawn thanks to some alternating of lights depending on the route).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was thinking that for the price of the Hope I could get 2 lights so use 1 helmet and 1 bar mounted. For those with them do they stay in place well on the rocky stuff? Was mainly thinking of using them both together on the technical stuff. For the weight it seems like you can have them and another if needed

epicyclo

The P7 torch is fine, but the USP of the AyUp for me is the overall package.

It’s very lightweight and I like the quick mount systems. They are constantly making improvements, so they will not fall behind the curve.

It also comes with a choice of 3 beam patterns. so you can pick between narrow long distance beams and wide floodlight. I got one of each – flood for handlebars and long for helmet.

I do not need anything brighter. The beam from the AyUp is bright enough to wash out most detail on the track. I am now more concerned with coming up with a way to enhance track detail now – I’m thinking of mounting a set of lower powered LEds (with a yellow beam) at or near axle level on the front fork.

I have made my own LED lights from scratch when Luxeon first came out, and it’s a whole load of faff, which is ok if you have plenty time.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The beam from the AyUp is bright enough to wash out most detail on the track

that makes me wonder how you cope with daylight which is at least 1000 times brighter ?

MikeWW
    Free Member

Bought the Ay Ups last year and very impressed
    Was night riding every week(sometimes 2 or 3 times in the week) all through the winter and they have been faultless
    Plenty of light to ride anything and battery life is more than they state

mrmo
    Free Member

The beam from the AyUp is bright enough to wash out most detail on the track

that makes me wonder how you cope with daylight which is at least 1000 times brighter ?

Maybe the angle and colour has a part to play….

I notice that visibility of a track changes depending on whether the ground is wet, damp or dry. No change to the light. Certain colours work better than others, i find LED and HID quite harsh whereas the yellower light of halogen seems more natural to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I often wondered what Simon wondered about

MrK
    Free Member

i got the roadie kit, really like it, neat and light and long burn times. had a warrenty issue since the uk supplier shut down and it took about 7 days to get it all sorted. excellenté

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sorted I think I will get some before I head back up top side so I can claim the tax back (so long as the £ buyes me nearly the same amount of Au$)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Anybody damaged their AYUPS? I bounced mine of a tree last night, stem bolts are now stuffed full of bark, and turned one of the lamps egg shaped. They still work but couldn't tell if the beam pattern was affected or not. Just wondered if there was any chance of getting them replaced as they say they are indestructable on the website.

tragically1969
    Free Member

It says in the blurb that if you break them send them back and they will sort you out, worth an email methinks ?

69er
    Free Member

Very happy with mine. Top company to deal with too.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Not broken but definately spoilt their looks. Wondering if it may have damaged any kind of seal.

Clink

I've had a very positive warranty experience with them recently. Worth mailing them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

had mine out for few weeks now really like them

kennyp
    Free Member

Bought a set last year. Love them.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Very impressed with these lights – two mates have them and think they're terrific – one even managed to leave them on his helmet one night which he left on his van which I subsequently peeled off the main road after they had been hit by a 40 tonne artic!

The lights still worked albeit with a slight squint!

Intending to get a ay-up headset this winter to back-up the Maxx D

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Ayups are great, i live in Oz an loads of people have them, although i do think there a little underpowered.

I use Lumicycle, my old HID on the handlebars and their shiny new LED light on my helmet, is only about 1100 lumens all up but it`ll do :-)…

In all seriousness tho the Lumicycle lights are brilliant, well made, fantastic customer service and made in Blighty so its all good….

Check them out:
    http://www.lumicycle.com/pages/default.aspx

doug_basqueMTB.com

My mum got them for Christmas and she loves them. It's given her a whole load more confidence on her nightrides. I had a play with them (obviously) and was very impressed both with the light and with the weight.

monkeychild
    Free Member

So Ayups get a big thumbs up then. I am looking for some lights for the dark nights as I commute on unlit country roads (spooky lol)

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Agreed that they are not awesomely bright, but that just means the (tiny) batteries last for ages. Plently bright enough for some pretty quick blatting around at night. About 25 mph on an admittedly wide but cut up path is the fastest I have been and it felt exciting, but not dangerous. Not sure I would enjoy anything massively bright cutting through the night, oh, and having one on your head means at least the light goes where you are looking.

swampi
    Free Member

i have had 3 sets from about 2 years ago, somehow managed to break the glass lens in one..casing was undamaged so no idea how it happend but they replaced it with only seeing a picture of if,also one 6 hr battery failed after about a year or so and was replaced withou even needing to send the battery back so great customer service etc, they may not be as bright as some of the newer stuff but they are small and there battery life is excellent

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘ay up lights’ is closed to new replies.