Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ay-Up Battery Dead
  • kennyp
    Free Member

I bought a set of Ay-Ups about three and a half years ago. I’ve used one of the batteries most days for commuting over the winter months, as well as a fair bit of night riding. However it has just died on me. Still seems to charge, but won’t make my lights shine.

Is it a dead battery? And if so, is that a reasonable length of life from it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

they do a cost replacement for the new ones

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers Mike, I’ve e-mailed them.

swampi
    Free Member

i got smudge from here to make me 2 up, same power as the 6hr battery but smaller and uses original charger, about £28 each, but they wont have the button on etc

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Try wiggling the wire around first.
    I had one with a break in the wire where it enters the plug. I bought a new plug from Maplins for about £1.50

barrykellett
    Free Member

Plug might have a bit of corrosion on the inside of it if you can give it a wee clean out with a wee fine wire brush or something

smudge
    Free Member

That sounds about a reasonable length of time and use for a Li-Po battery. They have a shorter cycle life to a Li-Ion battery.
    It also depends on how you have looked after itt, ie state of charge over long periods, number of charge and discharge cycles, temperatures you’ve stored and used it in all add up.

But from the length of time you have had the light and use I would say its time for a new battery.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’ve had mine just over 4 years now and the battery packs are all starting to show signs of wear. Me and a more qualified mate have managed to replace the plug on one and he’s having a look inside another as the lead has split just outside the hard case.

The 6hr one appears to not hold its charge aswell as it used to (might just be imagination though as I’ve never timed it).

Smudge – can you do batteries that work with the Ay-Up lights?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ay-Up Battery Dead’ is closed to new replies.