Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Axle to Crown measurements – How important?
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Or rather how much makes a significant difference?

Looking for some new forks for my 26″ Covert. I know that in some point in the future I’ll be going 650b, either with a new frame or with a new dropout kit (Not sure this exists but the guy at the LBS is adamant it does) so would like some 650b forks.

The Offset difference is negligible (Correct me if I’m wrong) and while still running 26 inch wheels I’d have the advantage of a slightly slackened head angle and a 2-3mm higher bb, not a bad thing for pedal strikes which I get a lot of.

My current 36s are 545 a to c, 650 pikes are 552, 7mm difference I can happily live with. The other fork I like the look of are Marz 350cr, but they have an a to c of 557, is that a step too far? I’ll be dropping the stem by 10mm at the same time so the bar height shouldn’t change much.

I ride uplift days to all day epics on the bike and when climbing I lose traction before the front end pops up.

My other thought on a to c is that between a big front tyre like a chunky monkey and a smaller one, say a spesh purgatory there is at least 10mm in height difference, and I’ve never noticed a difference between tyres in that respect.

Any thoughts appreciated!

thomthumb
    Free Member

offset doesn’t mean anything without headangle: you need to calculate trail.

small differences in trail are noticeable. possibly.

chrishc777
    Free Member

With a 67 degreeish HA I expect the extra offset would put me in line with newer slacker bikes trail wise

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

17mm of fork length = 1 degree of head angle. No idea about trail!

I doubt the few mm you are talking about would even be noticeable as other factors like tyre size, set up and sag come into play.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Axle to Crown measurements – How important?’ is closed to new replies.