• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by grum.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Axe trackworld
  • chrisdw
    Free Member

So my parents have just had a second log burner put in.

Want to get my dad a decent axe for kindling for christmas.

What would you lot reccommend? Budget of 50 ish.

z1ppy
    sharkbait
    Free Member

Cheap little axe from hardware store or similar. You’re only chopping sticks and the rest of it is all marketing gumpf (especially for splitting stuff).

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a couple of cheapo axes for splitting kindling.
    One with a hickory shaft from screwfix I think, the other a metal shaft with rubber grip knicked from my brother.
    Neither would win any axetrackworld awards, but they will take an edge, keep it, and split OK.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I like those sharp ones with the metal blade and a handle. If I wanted to buy an axe, that’s the one I’d go for.

kcal

I quite like my Roughneck kindling axe, the weight is probably excessive, but the combination of the wide head and tending to blunt edge means the kindling sticks do seem to just form without the blade getting stuck or me losing fingers too fast. It IS bloody heavy though.

Long log at decent height helps chopping for splitting, kindling and stuff, too low and it kills my back / legs.

Splitter maul/axe for, er, splitting, again good weight throws the wood apart without edge digging in.. IME.

footflaps

I quite like my Roughneck kindling axe,

I use this one, seems ok for the job.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Granfors, they are just amazing*

*I’ve never owned, tried, or even seen one, but it’s the stock STW answer.

nedrapier

they bring the wood to peices.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Husqvarna here, about 20 quid from here.

trail_rat
    Free Member

doesnt matter how good your axe is – once its hit the ground a few times itll blunt up 😉

ive got a cheapo BnQ splitting maul – a hardwear store special kindling axe and a roughneck “axe”.

if i was going for a posh one i might buy a bahco – because i like orange stuff 😉 – circa 45 quid from toolstop.co.uk

Marko

This is the one for Christmas:
    [url=http://www.estwingtools.co.uk/images/E1H.JPG]Estwing[/url]

Well I think it’s the same as mine. I stole mine from a bloke in a scrap yard who was using it to cut up lead pipe. Heathen!

Marko – Axe Liberator

crankboy
    Free Member

Granfors really are very good I should know I have one . What I use is an identically sized slightly heavier unbranded one I inherited from my dad who inherited it from his dad . Like my dad I have had to replace the shaft once. If you want to give a nice gift a Granfors looks lovely has a quality edge and works well. If you want to split kindling and small logs any axe will do though I guess a maul would do better . For splitting big logs I use chisels and a lump hammer .

Mikeypies
    Free Member

or for kindling a billhook

CountZero

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Granfors, they are just amazing*

*I’ve never owned, tried, or even seen one, but it’s the stock STW answer.
    It’s my stock answer, ‘cos I’ve got one, and thus speak from akchul experience.*

doesnt matter how good your axe is – once its hit the ground a few times itll blunt up

That’s why you have a chopping block, which also means you’re working at a comfortable height. A chunk of thick branch or smallish tree trunk from a sawmill aught to be fairly easily got hold of, something about 18-24″ across, and about 36″ high ought to do the trick.
    Somewhere that has logging and tree thinning going on could be a good source of bits of log for a chopping block.
    *I can even supply a photo… 😉

Albanach
    Free Member

Any recommendations or a long handled axe for £40 or less?

grum
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe and it really is a lovely thing. Handmade in Sweden by men with beards. 🙂

Not expensive overall either as long as you look after it – should last at least for my lifetime, probably much longer.

Albanach
    Free Member

Aye but its a gift for someone and I ain’t spending £65…

maccruiskeen

any axe will do the job if you want to give it as a gift then a nice looking axe might be nicer than something from screwfix

You could have a browse through Dictum and see if anything looks gift worthy

grum
    Free Member

In my mind £65 is included in ’50 ish’. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Axe trackworld’ is closed to new replies.