Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Axe for removing tree stumps/roots?
  • Houns

Depends on the tree (You may have said ^ but I’ve scanned through) but if you leave the stump you could be dealing with suckers forever more.

Having removed many (and have many more to do, including one on a sandstone rock face that the roots have caused big fracture lines in) then definitely go for the easiest option – Digger! (I’ve not used one but always wish for one) otherwise prepare yourself for some graft with a spade, pry bar (couple of handy bricks too for a fulcrum), loppers and a mattock.

Listen to Timber and Glasgow, it’s their job, I just do it for free

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had 4 big sycamores in my old garden, cut them down for firewood then sat at window with a cuppa whilst the stumpgrinder dude took an hour to grind them into compost . Was well worth the 100 odd quid he took.

superfli
    Free Member

Recently removed one from my garden. What worked very well for me was a saw, a mattock and a sledge hammer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bodgy
    Free Member

You’ve applied a stump killer to it, right?

ElVino

Having spent all of last Saturday removing a tree root from my back garden this is one of the most frustrating jobs known to man. We have no access to get the stump grinder if it was I would have paid in a heart beat.
    An axe and spade made very slow work of the roots. When I finally thought it had cut a 360 degree channel all around it and it still wouldn’t come out, my neighbour who is a builder offered me a scaffold pole as a lever. This worked a treat and pulled the stump and remaining root that went straight down underneath the stump for 3 feet straight out.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I believe Laurel regrows from the roots.

epicyclo

The manual for Countzero’s garden 🙂

epicyclo

What is stump killer?

I have a couple of stumps to remove and I was going to bore some deep holes in plus a couple of breathers and fill it with napalm.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Axe for removing tree stumps/roots?’ is closed to new replies.