Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Awkward Parents…. How do you stand them?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry. Enjoy your Sunday. Now, Hill Reps.

Agreed. No apologies needed.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I realise I am very lucky to have such lovely parents as mine. I really hope they last a few more years yet – Mum’s 91 and Dad’s 87, both are still as intelligent and quick witted as they’ve always been, but they are both somewhat pissed off that their bodies are starting to fail a bit!

Bunnyhop

You can choose you friends but not your family.

Monksie – thank goodness you turned out well.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My father died when I was 18. He was a functioning alcoholic, and a wife beater. I don’t remember how I felt when he died, shocked I suppose because it was sudden, but that was about it. I wouldn’t say I miss him really – I’m just used to it.
    There isn’t a right or wrong answer, so there isn’t good advice or bad advice, it’s all relevant. Good luck though.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

If your mum has become very different in behaviour in the last couple of years might be worth a word with a doctor or the althimer society to see if she has any signs of onset. If so, then her behaviour may be beyond her control or recognition.

“”you owe your life to your parents no matter how much of a pain they can be.” “No matter how annoying they can be you can only miss them. So grow up and appreciate them.”

Sorry but this is rubbish, ignorant and insulting. Parents have kids because they want kids, if they were doing it ‘all for the child’ and not for their own needs and interests they would adopt disadvantaged children instead.

I stopped seeing my parents when I was in my late 20’s. They were verbally abusive, domineering and used quite brutal blackmail to get what they wanted. One of the highlights was when my mum tried to arrange to have the family dog put down as a punishment for me not doing what she wanted, which was to promise I would never marry. My dad told me that no one would ever want me.

People who have good family relationships just don’t get that some parents behave to adult children in the same manner as hostile/controlling spouses behave towards their abused and beaten wives – that wining and control is everything and love is utterly conditional on doing what the controller wants and what is good for them.

People always blame the kids for family breakdown and tell them they are bad people. They don’t stop to find out what hell some people get from abnormally domineering families. If parents make your life hell, walk away. I wish I had gone years earlier, I was a fool not to cut them off. I feel a huge loss for the relationships my family could have had – but which they threw away rather than meet any of the compromises/discussions/negotiations I offered before I walked away.

My life is so much better now that I have nothing to do with them.

Would you advise a woman to stay with an abusive partner, saying its her duty to have abuse screamed at her or to be threatened physically? So why tell any offspring that it is a duty to be treated as badly by an obsessive parent?

Why condemn any kid for wanting to be treated with a normal human level of love and respect and pat bad parents on the back for ‘doing so much’ for their child?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

‘Toxic Parents’ by Susan Forward

http://www.travelin-tigers.com/zlyn/bktoxic.htm#Ex1

“”It was your fault.” Toxic parents are almost never willing to accept responsibility for their destructive behavior. Instead, they will blame you. They will say that you were bad, or that you were difficult. They will claim that they did the best that they could but that you always created problems for them. They will say that you drove them crazy. They will offer as proof the fact that everybody in the family knew what a problem you were. They will offer up a laundry list of your alleged offenses against them.”

“”It never happened”. Parents who have used denial to avoid their own feelings of inadequacy or anxiety will undoubtedly us it during confrontation to promote their version of reality. They’ll insist that your allegations never happened, or that you’re exaggerating. They won’t remember, or they will accuse you of lying.”

cinnamon_girl

Some quite distressing tales here and so sad that people have had to endure unhappiness.

I would agree with Midnighthour re behaviour of the elderly. Apparently it is fairly common for them to be treated with anti-depressants. In fact, my mother could definitely do with some.

My tolerance levels are not what they were and am unable to forgive some of her recent behaviour. Have come to dread visiting and always come away feeling very low.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Cinnamon, thats how it got for me when I finally managed to leave home (an act that brought on being told what a disappointment I was and that I was no longer thier child). I used to go back but I used to cry before I went or when I came home.

Seeing them was not worth the costs. Its easier and less damaging to be told by other people (who have never met my parents or know nothing of my family) that its “all my fault and I ought to make things up to my parents”.

I think you are right about the anti depressents. I have seen articles while researching my parents behaviour that say many elderly people are depressed, but like with pain, many people see it as ok for older people to struggle on but that would be treated medically if they were younger as the same symptoms would be thought of as unacceptable.

My parents did not deteriorate mentally as they got older, they were always that bad. But like many abused people, you just dont realise how bad it makes you feel until the abuse is stopped. If you can, take a determined span of time away from visiting and dont speak or write to them. See how you feel after that. I know its hard to do, but its not just parents who need protecting, its the offspring too.

Its really hard to get info on abusive/toxic/domineering parents as its not acceptable in our society to challeng bad behaviour of parents. The internet has more stuff these days. Some of the stories of how adult kids are bullied are mind blowing.

I have read that if you ultimately refuse to comply you will get one of 2 possible responses
    – you will be told you are a bad evil person who is worth nothing, screaming and shouting this is not uncommon.
    – you will be cut off and totally ignored until you realise you are wrong and go back to apologise and take up again the submissive role you were put in.

I got one of each type with my parents. 🙁

My sister opted for an early marriage to escape them. She was never forgiven after 15+ years of marriage and my parents had no interest in her kids.

flow
    Free Member

She doesn’t listen to what other people say, just wants to talk about herself, talks over people, makes faces and snide comments… A combination of sarcasm, and having a go at her when she goes too “Daily Mail” makes life bearable for 24 hours tops. When we invite her for a couple of nights she always tries to stretch it further. I guess I love her, but I sure as hell don’t like her.

Sounds like my girlfriends grandmother, about the same age too, I can’t stand her.

emanuel
    Free Member

midnighthour,spot on.
    I emigrated,twice,one for each parent.

You need to pass a test to drive a car,yet anyone can have children.
    I remember reading what someone said about evelyn waugh and his wife,evelyn.
    the good thing about they being married is that only two people are unhappy,instead of four.
    I don’t hate them,takes too much energy.
    but I sure as hell don’t like them.nor do I want to spend any time with them.

emanuel
    Free Member

my advice is that if you don’t enjoy the time you spend with someone,then don’t spend time with them.
    They wanted children,they had children.the proof of parenting is in the parenting.not the conception.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Had a difficult relationship with my dad, or more to the point no real relationship. In 46 years I never had a proper conversation with him.

Reading some of the posts on here makes me realise things could have been a lot worse and my heart goes out to those of you who had seriously abusive parents – can’t imagine what that must be like.

My childhood was happy enough, my parents were “Victorian parents”, didn’t want us around too much, and only then on their terms. Remember thinking as a fairly young kid that they never seemed to get any joy from us.

My mum was lovely, it was dad who accepted no challenge, beat down any hint of confrontation, and was ready to shout and hit (slap, nothing more serious) at the slightest hint of insurrection.

Definitely left it’s mark, though I figure I’ve done ok in my life so far considering. Just know that with more self confidence and without the fear of confrontation life would have been / will be so much easier.

Plus side is it gave me a template of how not to be a parent. I think I have a great relationship with my two girls, we’ve been mates since pretty much the day they were born (though with the teenage years fast approaching this may not last…).

Christ, parents…..

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Thanks to all those who have come out and posted their experiences… and that includes the “don’t understand it… all parents are wonderful…” type posts that came up at the start of this thread…

but more particularly the people whose parents put mine into perspective. So thanks again…

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Awkward Parents…. How do you stand them?’ is closed to new replies.