Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Avon ‘skin so soft’ /scotgtish midge
  • Clink

Can someone remind me which fragrance of this repelled the midge??

Stoner
    Free Member

you need woodland fresh dry oil spray, matt

MrNutt
    Free Member

rather than the high gloss?

Stoner
    Free Member

a silk finish always unnerves a midge

uplink
    Free Member

It never worked for me so you may need to have a backup plan [Deet]

househusband

Many shops in Scotland sell one made from neem (I think) oil – that’s worked well for me in the past.

RepacK
    Free Member

Why not just use DEET or at least something designed for the job? Your really spoilt for choice..Everybody I know who has used this has been bitten to f*ck!

Stoner
    Free Member

I found it worked a treat actually.
    Lot less hassle than DEET and keeping it off synthetics.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Matt,

You could try Autan Active – uses something called bayrepel. I’ve always found it as effective as DEET, without the side effects.

rOcKeTdOg

skin so soft has worked for me, 7 trips to scotland, no bites

Oggles
    Free Member

It works, but in my experience they just die on you before biting rather than being repelled. Maybe use a repellant as well?

Xan
    Free Member

26 years living in Scotland and skin so soft always worked for me. Doesn’t stop the wee B*****ds totally but keeps most of them away from you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use 100% DEET spray – IMO / IME the only thing that actually works when yu get badly swarmed. Stops them completely. Nasty stuff for sure – but it works.

hora
    Free Member

TJ, thing is if you have a sweat on on a hot day, its going to run etc.

Stoner- where do you get it from?

thegreatape
    Free Member

To answer your question, it’s the blue one you want not the pink one, that’s the one they sell everywhere round here.

I found that I had to put so much on to stop them biting they just stuck to me and my skin felt so greasy I stopped bothering. Now I just take piritize if I get bitten. A lot of people find it works well though.

I had some lemon flavoured stuff once that seemed to work quite well, think it was this

http://www.shoo.org/ShooHome.html

Stoner
    Free Member

direct from Avon.

Remeber to untick the marketing box though otherwise they keep on sending you lipstick catalogues…

http://www.avon.com/1/1/309-skin-so-soft-original-bath-oil-spray.html

retro83
    Free Member

Is it Citronella which makes SSS work or is there some other magic ingredient?

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.avoidmosquitobites.com/mosquito-bite-prevention/natural-mosquito-repellents/avon-insect-repellent.asp

By the way, contrary to what it says here, I wouldnt use it as an mosquito repellent. Only a midge repellent.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hora – not in my experience of using it for many years. It just works

hora
    Free Member

Agree, everyones different. Im an insect magnet personally and my bites always blow up. Few years back I had to nasty horse fly bite-infections that knocked me senseless for 6months 🙁

Ive found that deet gets everywhere on me- I cant help using my forearm etc to wipe forehead etc etc subconsciously so obviously worried about getting Deet in my eyes miles from anywhere/any water etc.

Nick

Skin So Soft didn’t work for me or any of our 15 strong party last year up near Spean Bridge, Expedition Plus (Deet) was magic.

We even did a couple of tests wearing one or the other and those wearing Deet could just stand there with midges all around and not get bitten whilst the SSS wearers scratched and slapped their heads, necks and arms constantly.

The other thing that was great was wearing a buff so the buggers can’t get in your hair.

foxyrider
    Free Member

We went to Scotland last year biking – August – No real bites or midges – went all over Scotland – brought DEET and Skin-So-Soft – still got full bottles in the garage 😉

hora
    Free Member

I foresee a better summer. Last summer was wet so we saw more midges. This Summer is going to be a dry heatwave FACT.

Could someone save this post simply so I can say TOLD YOU SO?

geoffj

This is the one you want: LINKY

It works for me. DEET does work, but its pretty nasty stuff IMHO. SSS smells nice and leaves your skin feeling lovely!

Nick

That’s the stuff we had Geoffj, bought 3 bottles of it, it’s under the bathroom sink now.

The shop in Roybridge was selling it for a tenner a bottle!

snaps
    Free Member

Some useful info here, anyone tried any of these products?
    http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/2008/default_wide.asp?pageid=46

HeatherBash
    Free Member

SSS isn’t any kind of chemical repellent in my view – it just has a gunky consistency which half drowns the wee fcukers.

Jungle Formula is pretty efcetive ime.

hugorune

We camped at Glenmore (aviemore) last summer and tried SSS, jungle formula and Boots own 75% DEET and the only thing that worked in the evening when the little dastards were swarming was the high DEET stuff. Actually the only thing that worked was sitting inside the tent as Agent Orange wouldn’t have kept them away.

Clink

Crikey – posted before went to work, just checked in! Thanks for all the feedback 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

As has been said above, SSS isn’t a repellent. They’ll still land on you but then seem to drown in it. This means you have to apply a fairly decent amount. I wonder if some of the naysayers have been perhaps a wee bit stingy in its application? I also can’t figure out why only the Blue one works 🙂

For all its effectiveness, DEET can be hard to manage – e.g. if you have some nice sunnies, you don’t want to apply it to your face.

I just wish that nice lassie from Aberdeen Uni. would hurry up and get her remedy out.

andytherocketeer

I’d avoid DEET / Jungle Formula, especially if you’re going to be eating with fingers etc.

The other stuff to get hold of is Stop Bite (website is probably easily google-able) which I think we found in the pharmacy section of Morrisons. Smells a bit like Drambuie, which is not surprising, cos it’s made from Heather and Bog Myrtle. Worked surprisingly well.

Don’t use normal insect rep. – it will attract the blighters.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I consider myself a midge magnet – nothing works so I just take an anti-histamine tablet before venturing out and it stops any of the bites flaring up.

thomthumb
    Free Member

THE BLUE ONE!! i’ve been using the pink one for a year, smelling like my nan and getting bitten! bollox now you tell me!

Stu

THE BLUE ONE!! i’ve been using the pink one for a year, smelling like my nan and getting bitten! bollox now you tell me!

Dekerf853

Are midges likely to be a problem in the 7 Stanes in August?

Hope not!

Thanks……Jim.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Following on from a previous thread about Lyme Disease, someone brought up the possibility of a new product.
    It’s Autan Active – meant to give up to 8 hrs protection from mozzies etc ( and 4 hrs from Ticks ). It is a *non DEET* product, and almost non absorbed by the body and sounds safer.
    Sorry – haven’t got a link, but google it and read up. It sounds worth investigating, trying, or at least a browse!
    It would be interesting to know how it performs in real life as it ‘reads good’
    cheers
    Q.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Avon ‘skin so soft’ /scotgtish midge’ is closed to new replies.