Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Avoiding credit card charges when buying flights
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Hi all,

Just had a thought and wanted to check if there were any holes in my plan 🙂

I’m in the process of booking flights, however paying by credit card incurs a £35 charge. Could I avoid this by doing the following?

> Add my credit card to my PayPal account.
    > Send money using PayPal to my partners PayPal using the CC as the source.
    > Then just pay for the flights using her debit card which incurs no charge?

Thanks.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Ah scrap that, Paypal adds a hefty charge as well when using the CC as the source 🙁 oh well.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Send money using PayPal to my partners PayPal using the CC as the source.

This bit might be the sticking point – it would circumvent the charges CCs usually make for cash withdrawals, so they might not allow it.

johndoh
    Free Member

Offset the cost by using Quidco?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hmmm….

deadkenny
    Free Member

Wonga to current account, pay with debit card. Then worry about to 4000% interest later 😉

(p.s. … save up for it next time, no credit involved 😛 ).

spooky_b329

Can’t you just use your own debit card? Buy the next couple of weeks shopping on the credit card to offset it.

However, some airlines also charge a lesser amount for debit cards…worth checking!

cranberry
    Free Member

Step 1. Use debit card.

cbike
    Free Member

But if it goes tits up 35 quid might be worth it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

does your debit card give the same level of protection- some do some dont….

if it does – like mine. id be using that.

mattyfez

Could you get holiday insurance that covers the flights for less than £35? if so just do that and use debit card.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

But if it goes tits up 35 quid might be worth it?

Wouldn’t insurance sort it out as opposed to relying on the CC company?

skellnonch
    Free Member

Just been through this myself, I opted to take the hit as the flights were over £2k so I though £35 was worth the peace of mind for CC protection

RichPenny
    Free Member

See if booking with different companies helps? Trailfinders have no cc fees, for example.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Is this flight only, or a holiday (flight plus accommodation or a package)? If the latter ABTA/ATOL cover you for company failure.

If it’s a big name I wouldn’t worry. Just don’t book through anyone dodgy. Also, for flights, book direct. Travel agents become a problem if there are cancellations on their or your side and airlines wash their hands of responsibility.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Avoiding credit card charges when buying flights’ is closed to new replies.