Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Aviemore,glen eana,braeriachich, coire dondall, breariach, larig ghuru aviemore
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

So I’ve been recommended this route by a kind gentleman, and whilst plotting it on a gpx and penning it in on my OS i have noticed between Coire dhondail there is no path marked, is it just a case of cutting across or is there a path present that just isnt marked.
    Also anybody else tried this ride or any other on the Lairig Ghru?
    Following the glen derry was another option?
    Really all i want is a spin on the Lairig Ghru but preferably not more hiking than biking!

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Really all i want is a spin on the Lairig Ghru but preferably not more hiking than biking!

If that is the case, then simply ride up the path to the east of the Allt Druidh as far as you want/can/can be bothered to push. If you get bored/tired then turn round and enjoy the descent. Couldn’t be easier. Combine with any of the excellent single/doubletrack in the woods. Annything involving Braeriach will be purgatory if you don’t like hiking. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Following the glen derry was another option?

Eh? Do you mean in a Ryvoan- Lairig an Laoigh- Derry Lodge- Luibeg – Lairig Ghru fashion? That’s some detour just to get “a spin on the Lairig Ghru”.

sweepy
    Free Member

Thats not a ‘spin on the Lairig Ghru’ Theres about 700m climb from the head of Glen Eanich to the summit of braeriach. Its way above the Lairig there. Im not saying it’d not be a good ride, but its not a spin up the Lairig. If you do it, have fun tho. and take a coat 🙂

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Cheers guys,
    Im sat here with my OS trying to work a route out!
    anything particular you would recommend?
    However is there a path from glen eanich to the Braeirach summit?
    So your recommendation, a bit of an evening ride maybe until w eget bored/knackered?
    Take a Trangia, stop for grub and turn back?
    I dont mind hiking as long as there is plenty of biking too!
    It needs to fill a whole day so any idea’s are welcomed 🙂

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Ryvoan- Lairig an Laoigh- Derry Lodge- Luibeg – Lairig Ghru
    is what i was thinking! If its do-able in a day?
    Or will it be a mountain walk with a bike on our backs?

druidh
    Free Member

The best bit of the Lairig Ghru is from thr foot of Castle Hill down. You can get there by cycling up past Rothiemurchus Lodge and then taking the path heading SW/S marked on the OS map. If you start in Inverdruie, you can take the Old Logging Road track out to Loch Morlich and then you have a decent loop.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Druidh,
    is that affectively south from glenmore which then bears to the south west of castle Hill?
    And how far along the Ghru do you go, Pools Of Dee or is it just a matter of how far you fancy?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

To the east of Alt Druidh just before you leave rothiemurchus forest,
    is that a cheeky bit of single/double track i spot 😀

druidh
    Free Member

You can head up the track at NH956096 which will take you to the lodge or go all the way to Glenmore and choose any one of a number of routes through the forest, but they’ll bring you back to that same track.

Oh – there’s no such thing as “cheeky” singletrack in Scotland 🙂

lewismorgan
    Free Member

sorted! Cheers
    Evening/Afternoon or morning ride?

druidh
    Free Member

The Lairig Ghru is a very popular path with walkers. My preference would therefore be early evening. When descending, look for the junction at NH938075 and head West acros the footbridge at 926078 and then keep heading West to take you to Loch an Eilein. Go South round the loch before heading round to the car park at the North end. (This is all doubletrack but there are plenty of wee bits in the trees if you keep your eyes open). Then look for the track heading NE at 897086, follow that to 904095 and then you have nice singletrack all the way to Inverdruie

13thfloormonk

Edit: Nothing to see here 8)

druidh
    Free Member

Shoosh you!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

if there’s nothing to see there,
    what do you think its like here in lincolnshire!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Planning the lairig ghru this year,
    really want to do it but a bit nervous about timings and the quality of the ride!
    I’ve spotted the corrour bothy and am thinking lairig ghru, sleep here and then back via the Glen Feshie. A two day trip but means we can take it leisurely and take some detours
    or is it worth going for a one day blast like in this clip

Sanny
    Free Member

For the Lairig Ghru, best bet is to ride as far up as you wish then turn round and descend. Out and back is the easiest and most fun choice. I love doing it in both directions.

For a two dayer, how about Feshie, Geldie, Derry, Corrour overnight, Derry, Lairig an Laogh, Ryvoan and back. Doing it as a long day ride this year.

Cheers

Sanny

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Edit: Nothing to see here

Ian, what has happened to your blog?, get yer finger oot man! 😉

lewismorgan
    Free Member

That doesn’t help with any route advice!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Sanny,
    Thats the route that i was thinking but are the views on that and the riding as good as that found on the ghru as it doesnt really encorporate that? neither does it have the altitude.
    How can you cut across from feshie to derry?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

With these bothies, do you need permission or a key or anything?
    Or is it just a case of turn up and go in 🙂 🙂

druidh
    Free Member
    13thfloormonk

Sorry Greg, need to spend less time on here! 😳

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Is this bothy a popular one? 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Yes.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Hopefully be some company there then 🙂
    probably worth getting myself a bothy bag 🙂

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

That’s easy for you to say, but actually it is easy for me to say too because I’m a Celt.
    ‘Sa greet bus root es tha, geas roon tha heylans an bock ta Aviemore se it does. Et’s greet.

In my local dialect it’s
    Tidy bus route that butt, goes up the mountains a bit like, then back down the valley a tidy step, and ends up down your gran’s back like. It’s cowin mint that butt.
    lol

Sanny
    Free Member

The Ghru from past Corrour to Aviemore is a bouldery jumble of carrying your bike a long way. The best part of the trail is that which you can ride as an out and back. It’s a wonderful descent, particularly in the evening sun and I would heartily recommend it. Once you do it, you will want to ride it again.

Geldie gets you to Braemar area from where you can head up Glen Derry. Someone posted a neat video a couple of months ago where they returned via the Lairig Ghru as a day ride. Smashing bit of footage.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Was it this little beauty by any chance 🙂
    The Lairig An Laogh better option than the ghru? Then just do the ghru in an evenng as an out and back one night? 🙂

lewismorgan
    Free Member

So in short ride from Aviemore via Glenmore round Bynack More to the Fords of Avon and Lairig Laoigh to Braemar.
    Return via Linn of Dee, White Bridge, Geldie, Glen Feshie and don’t forget to ride the bothy trail at grid ref NH 883 056.

Route sorted 🙂

Will be a long day!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

That is a big route. You’ll be wanting dryish conditions. And a good set of lungs and legs.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

It should be ok, i think we will take lights in case anyway and stop off in braemar for lunch if theres any good chippy recommendations? 🙂
    Im sure worst comes to worst, corrour bothy will crash us for a night!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s quite a detour into Braemar from Linn of Dee (6 miles or so) so I’d not bother if I were you! Plenty of deer carcasses on route for fodder 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore,glen eana,braeriachich, coire dondall, breariach, larig ghuru aviemore’ is closed to new replies.