Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Aviemore – where's good?
  • masterwatson2000
    Free Member

We were gonna ski, but it’s looking increasingly mild, although probs still a lot wet, so obviously we are substituting skis for bikes! Where’s good, where’s rad (LOLZ), and where’s bad/wet?

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Visit Bothy bikes, buy a map. They’ll point you where you need to go.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Some info here . As has been said ask in one of the bike shops . High Burnside has some good and more technical stuff .

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=29

matt_outandabout

paging scotroutes, paging scotroutes.

matt_outandabout

It is pish by the way.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PGQaYZ]Aviemore ride[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PE5z3A]Aviemore ride[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QWpYZH]Aviemore ride[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QWpR3a]Aviemore ride[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

somafunk

It’s hard to find a “bad” place to ride in the Aviemore area, as above – pop into bothy bikes, speak to David (very tall shop owner) or Gordy (short, hairy hobbit mechanic) and buy the mini pack of maps then go explore.

Matt, so you’ve rode that wee rock round Loch an Eilein as well eh?, it just begs to be ridden 😀

Ps : allo Gordy, be back up soon 😉

jonk

Burma road is pretty good

[/url]IMGP7881 by jon kemp, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMGP7877 by jon kemp, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMGP7874 by jon kemp, on Flickr[/img]

scotroutes

* waves *

Bothy Bikes is a good shout.

Or contact me by PM if you want some info before you arrive. If you’re going to be here over mid-term I might see if there are any other STWers around and organise a day or evening ride.

Snow: all but gone. We’re expecting some around the middle of the month.

Trails are currently dry and running well though they’ll be wet this weekend. Sandy soils drain quick though.

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Thanks all. Looks like we’ll have plenty to go at. Both bikes will defo be utilised, and the pics posted so far look awesome! Can’t wait to get stuck in. We are up next weekend ScotRoutes, so I think we will still be snow free at a guess… may well be in touch shortly for some more route ideas!

Spin
    Free Member

Snow: all but gone. We’re expecting some around the middle of the month.

We’re expecting some tomorrow but it’s gonna take a lot to make the skiing good.

br
    Free Member

We did the Burnside trails in late September, brilliant fun.

Easily found using the Trailforks app.

tjagain

Burma road I didn’t enjoy much. Big slog of a climb then most of the height is lost on a steep loose landrover track where you are on the brakes the whole way. Decent singletrack down the valley but for me not worth the climb.

scotroutes

Totally not worth the climb.

tjagain

Views are good I’ll give you that. I just felt that for the climb the descent wasn’t good enough. I preferred other riding I have done in the area

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Wow! These pics look awesome!

somafunk

Yeah it’s a big descent going down the far side, very easy to pick up speed rather quickly for 40mm tyres to cope with.

I think the Burma road is a grand afternoon out, especially in the sun

Out n’ back to Glen Einich is pretty decent

Ryvoan Bothy through to Loch Garten is also good, quite a few decent trails around there to play on

Out round Loch an Eilein to Loch Gahmna, past the bothy and down to Feshie bridge trails followed by cake at
    Inschriach nursery/cake shop on way back to Aviemore will leave you feeling very happy

andytherocketeer

Burma Road is not about the LRT descent, imho, but the stunning flattish ride along the valley by the river, away from civilisation. There just happens to be a hill in the way.
    We saw another person once when we did that loop.

br
    Free Member

Burma Road is not about the LRT descent, imho, but the stunning flattish ride along the valley by the river, away from civilisation. There just happens to be a hill in the way.[/I]

This.

But tbh we were in a big group and flat-stick’d it down the otherside, hairy!

highlandman
    Free Member

Burma Road ‘short’ version- go up the usual hard climb to the pass, then turn hard left at the cairn and bomb back down on singletrack, parallel to the way you went up but slightly west. Bit bumpy in places and quite fun.
    Misses out the lovely ride down that remote valley though.
    There are several good rides up in Feshie too, although the best ones involve going above 1000m, so are a bit iffy in winter. Out and back on the east bank of the Feshie from Achlean to the Ruidh Etchachan bothy, carrying a stove for a brew would be a great winter day out.

scotroutes

Ruigh Etchachan is still very closed so don’t plan to be inside. Carry on further round to the falls and bridge at the Eidart too. Very un-Cairngorm like.

iainc

Burma Road ‘short’ version- go up the usual hard climb to the pass, then turn hard left at the cairn and bomb back down on singletrack, parallel to the way you went up but slightly west. Bit bumpy in places and quite fun.

yep, me, sanny and Rob from backcountrybiking on a predawn depart from the village last year :

some good routes over towards Tomintoul and Braemar

and lots of rivers to cross 🙂

scotroutes

I must be doing something wrong. I’ve done that short Burma Road descent only the once but found it too patchy and muddy to be worthwhile. I’ll maybe pencil it in for September if 2017 is anything like last year.

iainc

^^^^ I managed about 75% of it on the Soul, Sanny and Rob about 90% on fatbikes. (though sanny reckoned he rode it all 🙂 )

Sanny
    Free Member

I did ride it all! The only time I stopped was to take pics of you, tail end Charlie on your skinny tyres bike! 😆

I love mealle a buchaille on a frosty or snowy day. Glen Einich has a real sense of scale. Loch Garten via Ryvoan is a nice loop to do. Have a look at my online feature on microadventuring the arctic plateau for inspiration of higher level stuff.

piemonster

I’ll maybe pencil it in for September if 2017 is anything like last year.

I’ll make a note of that!

metalheart
    Free Member

Makes note that piemonster is making a note….

scotroutes

* deletes note *

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Burma road you’re looking for stunning views, but I too was pretty uninspired by the actual ride tbh.

iainc

The classic route has been heavily sterilised in the last couple of years, with smooth Land Rover track from Carrbridge virtually right up to the bridge, which is a shame. Makes it a fast loop though and lots of energy left for the singletrack sections from Carrbridge towards Boat…

scotroutes

Sssh! We don’t talk about those.

iainc

😀

Your secrets are safe seeing as I don’t do Strava !

bullroar
    Free Member

Might we worth keeping an eye on this, more for skiing that riding.

http://ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore – where's good?’ is closed to new replies.