Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Aviemore this weekend, XC Skis or Snowshoes for beginners?
  • 13thfloormonk

Booked a cheeky weekend away in Aviemore to visit Cairngorm and maybe do some skiing (the girlfriend's idea, I didn't fancy spending a fortune just to stand in queues all day!).

As it happens the slopes are apparently closed till sunday so which would be better for complete beginners, snowshoes or XC skis? I'd guess the XC skis would be more fun so long as they don't demand mega-athleticism!

BoardinBob

You'll be lucky to see any action on the mountain. The storm's closing back in again with 100mph winds forecast for Saturday and even if it improves on Sunday the access road will be gubbed and most of the mountain is buried at the moment!

10cm of snow last Saturday meant the access road didn't open until almost lunchtime.

Current reports indicate 15ft drifts on the access road at the moment 😯

druidh
    Free Member

Looks like all the action will be in the hotel then……

Stu

Snow shoes would be easier, but power XC skiing would be more fun! 🙂

cuckoo
    Free Member

Heard on the radio this morning that the ski resort is closed because they are snowed in. 😯

Stu

By the way does anyone actually READ threads before they post? He knows its closed that's why he's asking about snow shoes and XC skiing! 🙄

13thfloormonk

haha, cheers guys.

Will just have to speak to the good folks at Glenmore, assuming we can get that far!

Probably just be us and thousands of disgruntled skiers, better get there early tomorrow morning!

geoffj

Mate of a mate is supposed be getting married on the shores of Loch An Eilein tomorrow! Ooops.

dab

some waxless xc ski kit or very light tele kit

the hill will be off bounds on sat for sure and sunday might be ok but it'll be carnage for sure

xc ski up at glemore / morlich etc

hth

try mountain spirit or cairngorm mountain sports for hires
    think there may be a few places in kingussie too

http://www.mountainspirit.co.uk

stevomcd
    Free Member

If you're a beginner at both, go for snowshoes. XC skiing is good in an athletic kind of way, but you're pretty restricted as to where you can go, especially if you're not very skilled. Snowshoes are more fun for bimbling around the woods (and a hoot running downhill in deep snow). Not much technique required. The running joke on my course this week is that there are 2 steps to becoming an expert snowshoer – left and right! (Not quite true BTW, but not far off!).

I'm a snowshoe guide and typing this from a chalet stuffed full of both XC skiers and snowshoers, so I have some knowledge of this!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore this weekend, XC Skis or Snowshoes for beginners?’ is closed to new replies.