Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Aviemore – bikeable over the new year?
  • badfink
    Free Member

I’m off to Aviemore to visit friends/family over the new year and was planning on taking the bike. Is it worth it or will it be snowtastic?

I’ll be staying in the centre of Aviemore, so was hoping I’d be able to pootle around the Badaguish XC loop and do some exploring thereabouts.

If it is viable, does anyone have any routes they could recommend? GPX files and links to maps would be proper nice, too, as I’m borrowing my mate’s Edge 800. Muchos gracias in advance. 🙂

althepal

I’ve done a wee bit over New Years a few times.. Just depends on how bad the snow is really.. Did a route one year that climbed up onto a biggish hill just south of Aviemore then onto a military rd. was many years ago so not much help!
    I’ve heard the folks at off- beat bikes are very helpful!

druidh
    Free Member

See the other thread… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/low-level-ride-aviemore-area#post-4477656

Bothy Bikes near Dalfaber are where you need to head. They have some great wee maps and all the local/up-to-date trail info.

Did a route one year that climbed up onto a biggish hill just south of Aviemore then onto a military rd

Probably the Burma Road. Big climb, long descent all the way back to Carrbridge passing the military bridge en route.

althepal

Bothy bikes! Sorry.
    Druidh has the right answer..
    See the other Aviemore thread, there’s some good stuff on that too.

footflaps

Weather dependant, had some great biking winters (but poor climbing winters):

Loch Vaa nr Boat of Garten by brf, on Flickr

Laggan Wolftrax in winter by brf, on Flickr

MTB mascot Contin Forest (Strathpeffer) by brf, on Flickr

Loads to do around there:

Badaguish XC course (just off the ski road)
    Learnie Red Rocks (just NE of Inverness)
    Contin Forest (just N of Inverness)
    Golspie (a long way N or Inverness)
    Laggan (about 90 mins drive West)

badfink
    Free Member

Ah, smashing. I always pop into Bothy Bikes anyway (it was they who pointed me to the Trail to nowhere) so I’ll give them an ask when I’m there.

Thanks for the help/info, chaps.

druidh
    Free Member

Remember that they’ve moved and are no longer on the “ski road”.

vertebratetom

Footflaps – who’s the guy on the right in your top photo?

footflaps

Not a guy, a girl. Ian and Louise.

footflaps

Tom, I think you were staying with us that year? Ian MacNab party?

vertebratetom

Oh yeah… on the left… (Obviously, I meant on his right)

Thought it was Ian (I recognised the bike :oops:) I was up there one year with Ian and Fred. Afraid I’ve only vague memories of everyone else!

Don’t suppose you’re still in touch with Ian are you? I’ve not seen him since he went off to the Antarctic.

footflaps

Actually I think that was the year before you and Fred stayed with us. Ian is alive and well staying with Dave, who has left Manchester, and now lives in Hebden Bridge. He’s done two 18 month stints in Antarctica, space a year apart, and came back from the last one in March. Have you got his email address?

vertebratetom

I’ve no idea which year I came up. I think i came up later and stayed at the campsite up the road…

I’ve not got his email address, no. Any chance you could email it me?

footflaps

ygm

vertebratetom

Ta!

Annnnnd….. back to the OP. Sorry about that!

badfink
    Free Member

I didn’t realise Bothy had moved so thanks for the heads up, druidh!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore – bikeable over the new year?’ is closed to new replies.