Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Aviemore area – Loch Eanaich
  • iainc

up there next month for usual school hol week. Have ridden most of the usual suspects, but not this one. Looks like a nice ride out from Coylumbridge camp site end. any pointers on it ? and HT or gnarmac ? 🙂

zigzag69
    Free Member

HT will do it. Nice wee run, nothing too challenging (although I did break a rib or two, but that’s a different story). We did it a couple of years ago, combined with a quick in/out to the south of Loch an Eileen which was not bad either.

https://www.strava.com/activities/56356112

And some pics to whet your appetite: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=257811

tomd
    Free Member

It’s a decent land rover track all the way. Hardtail would probably be best, but gnarmac would probably work.

iainc

thanks both – Soul it will be then 🙂

great pics !

andytherocketeer

HT.
    Lots of water splashes (one sizeable one iirc), but I guess that will differ a lot depending on how much rain there’s been.
    Did that on my Soul. Peeled off on the way back on to the path and footbridge to Loch Morlich, for some other trails.

scotroutes

On the way in, take the obvious climbing landie track on your right after a wee water splash (NH982865). That gives you a bit of height and a great view of Braeriach.

You’ll likely get wet feet crossing the Beanaidh Bheag but you can usually cycle through it.

The Loch is further away than you think when you first see it.

Don’t bother trying to take the path round the West side of the loch unless you like carrying your bike.

Follow the lower track all the way out (avoiding the high landie track)

Watch out for “the corner of certain doom” where a wee landslip washed away the track and there’s now a bit of maneuvering required. There’s been a couple of falls there that have resulted in hospitalisation.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If there’s doom and possible hospitalisation, iain is yer man!. 😀

kcal

some nice pics on Facebook from backcountrybiking, @iainc. They seemed happy with the gnarmac option.

I really must head down there soon, have explored round the Glenmore / Nethy area but not so much south.

iainc

If there’s doom and possible hospitalisation, iain is yer man!.

Indeed 😀

sweepy
    Free Member

I would advise going up the low singletrack where it splits first time up. Its very easy to get carried away on the way down and that ‘corner of certain doom’ can easily sneak up on you even when you know its there.
    I think its a really nice ride, great scenery and feels like you are really in the mountains without being an epic.

iainc

thanks all, will probs take the safer option, given my track record 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore area – Loch Eanaich’ is closed to new replies.