Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Aviemore accommodation
  • Mike-E

Oh wise ones, does anyone have a recommendation for bike-friendly accommodation in/near Aviemore for a dirty weekend in October?

gra

Cairngorm Guest House. Good accommodation, shed where you can store the bikes and fantastic breakfast. On the main street too so handy for bars and restaurants.

Mike-E

thanks for that gra – will check it out.

sam_underhill

Slight hi-jack, but where is good for eating / drinking around Aviemore, preferably walk / short cycle from the town itself.

scotroutes

Nowhere in Aviemore is anything more than a short cycle/walk away.

Cairngorm Hotel does excellent food, as does the Old Bridge Inn.

Roos Leap for humungous portions if you are very hungry.

La Taverna for the all-you-can-eat buffet

Mountain Cafe for restorative breakfasts – but be prepared to queue

sam_underhill

awesome, thanks scotroutes.

mangatank
    Free Member

+1 for the Mountain cafe. Their kiwi pancakes are legendary.

Spin
    Free Member

Cairngorm Hotel does excellent food, as does the Old Bridge Inn.

I’ve found the Cairngorm to be a bit hit and miss.

La Taverna is cheap and plentiful.

Mt Cafe – very good but expensive and busy like you say.

Active Cafe is cheaper and quieter if not quite the same quality. Also, I walk out of the Active Cafe if there is more than one person in the queue. I nearly starved in there one day waiting to be served.

geoffj

+1 for La Taverna, but go a la carte for the quality options.
    -1 for mountain cafe. It’s ok, but its reputation is better than reality IMHO and they ask you to queue on the stairs when its busy.
    The Active Cafe in the old visitor centre is a pleasant alternative

Super Panther is ok at a push
    Cobs cafe is not so good.

Don’t forget Inshriach nursery for cake

Fat-boy-fat

On the accommodation front, try the youth hostel. We’ve stayed there a few times and it is fine. There’s also a bunkhouse attached to the Old Bridge Inn which is a step up from the youth hostel but not that much more expensive.

Most places in Aviemore are actually surprisingly OK. I like the Old Bridge Inn, Roos Leap and La Taverna but I’ve never had an awful meal anywhere.

Mike-E

got that, ta.

scotroutes

The Active Cafaidh is actually rather good but struggles to cope with larger numbers. One might even suggest there was a reason I didn’t mention it….

geoffj

The Active Cafaidh is actually rather good but struggles to cope with larger numbers.

Some of the staff can be a bit special needs, and the omnipresent telly isn’t ideal, but the coffee, teas and cakes are very good. Plus I always like having a laugh at the sale prices in the shop downstairs. Wowsers, a full 5% off rrp!

The new mountain warehouse is likely to do for trespass and blacks though I would imagine.

scotroutes

Careful, you’ll have the STW PC brigade down on you.

Mike-E

geoffj »
    Some of the staff can be a bit special needs,

Careful, you’ll have the STW PC brigade down on you.

that’s OK, I’m going with special people 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

Bridge Inn was really very good when we were there last year. Not so cheap as some of the others, but quite cheap for the quality of the food.

I’ve stayed at the bunkhouse there and it was nice enough too, although that was a few years back.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Surprised nobody has mentioned Glenmore Lodge. Good value food too & huge portions.

Bit more off pitch but “The Boat” is also good also for eating plus you get to build up an appetite riding out there.

http://www.boathotel.co.uk

Lochinsh another place that’s a wee bit different:

http://www.lochinsh.com/sleep.asp

Mountain cafe is v’ good but you need to be a queue tolerant type of Diner.

MS
    Free Member

At the risk of gettig flamed for “advertising”.

My folks have a holiday apartment in aviemore if you didn’t want a hotel or B+B. Its a top floor flat which has a large landing area to store bikes. £60 a night flat rate (up to 6 people).

More details can be found at Link

Feel free to email me if you want any details.

scotroutes

MS – ygm

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore accommodation’ is closed to new replies.