Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Avid Ultimate Shorty's – any better than frogglegs?
  • sefton
    Free Member

has anyone with froggleg canti’s upgraded to avid ultimate shorty’s?

are they much better?

20% better?

£160 front & back so not cheap.

LS
    Free Member

Yes, done that exact change. Ultimates are much better, a lot more tuneable depending on whether you want raw power, modulation or a combination of the two.

And they look a lot nicer, obviously 😀

sefton
    Free Member

raw power for the peaks!

how much better percentage wise?

LS
    Free Member

Hard to say really, I go a lot more for feel than power. I’m not aiming to stop very often! But yes, your 20% is more than possible.
    To be honest though, for the Peaks I’d run Mini-Vs and save myself £100+

sefton
    Free Member

mini Vs – hmmm not really looked into these.

what are the downsides then? why 3peaks and not regular cx racing?

LS
    Free Member

Bog-all mud clearance with Mini Vs compared to cantilevers so less good for general racing. Not really a problem at the Peaks (so I’m told, haven’t ridden it yet).
    I run Mini Vs on my CX training bike and they’re much more powerful than the Ultimates, but you don’t need that sort of power in your average CX race.

sefton
    Free Member

Cheers mate, I’ll get some as all my riding is trail and ultimately the 3pcx.

I’ll just throw the frogglegs back on in winter.

sefton
    Free Member

are the trp cx9’s the best?

will chicken levers still work ok with them?

LS
    Free Member

No idea, sorry. I just picked up a set of el cheapo Tektros for about £30 and they work fine.

Sam

I’ve got both Avid Ultimates and TRP CX-9’s and the TRP’s are a much more powerful brake and eliminate fork judder. For general riding definitely recommend the CX-9’s

Digger90
    Free Member

Yes, they are MASSIVELY better… and I have a pair for sale, boxed, in virtually new condition, for £110 posted.

Whether interested in mine or not.. Avid Shorty Ultimates are by FAR the best CX brake set out there.. . I used Shimano canti’s, Froggleggs, Tektros and all sorts of other stuff without much success in the braking department until I finally blew the money on the Avids and boy was I glad I did. They were the first brakes I used that actually stopped the CX bike rather than just scrubbed a little speed off… and they work equally well in the wet, which is something no other canto even came close to achieving.

If you are interested in mine my email is simonpearson AT yahoo DOT com. Only selling as I sold my CX bike.

sefton
    Free Member

cheers mate but I’m going to get some mini vs 9after a little lunch time reading)

Rik
    Free Member

Shame they only do the nice trp mini v brakes in pairs. I only need 1 as I’ve got a disc on the front!

Might have to buy an avid shorty ultimate but it’s only slightly cheaper but you get 1.

The FRM mini v brakes look nice but no idea who sells them? Bet they will be pricey though.

sefton
    Free Member

holy shit – the TRP CX8.4 are easily wise as powerful than the frogglegs!!! very nice feel too – disc brake power!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Avid Ultimate Shorty's – any better than frogglegs?’ is closed to new replies.