• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Avid Rollamagig
  • gnusmas

I was searching through my spares box to add more to my for sale list (it seems to be going on and on) and noticed i have a Rollamagig in there. Do people still use these? I remember having it on my bike for a short period of time, can’t remember why i took it off now though. Still got the little ball too!

cyclistm
    Free Member

I would say that rear mech cable routing is much improved since they were around. cant imaging anyone is using them unless on an older model?

igm

Avid stopped making them as they were very useful on Shimano rear mechs but SRAM had just gone to a different pull ratio – the net effect was that Avid were making something that assisted a competitor’s drive chain.

And then Shimano went shadow and they were no longer any use.

Always most effective on a chainstay routed cable rather than a seatstay one.

sharkattack

I used one to smooth out the action of the throttle cable on some bike carbs that were on the engine in my Opel Manta. Never did use it on a bike.

BlobOnAStick

Yep! I run 2 of them, one on my OnOne 456 with XT rear mech, and one in my Mega with an XTR mech.

Brilliant things IMO, guess I just don’t get through kit like I should by the sounds of it!

BOAS

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m 85% sure there’s one on my Big Dummy still, buried deep under the cargo bags, sorting the cable routing out.

Along with several Middleburn Oilers. Another idea whose time has largely passed…

🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I still use the metal versions on my roadies. Still does what it always did – lighten the shifting action. There’s a German version too that’s similar but a less acute angle.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Got one on my Xtracycle

eshershore
    Free Member

these were a godsend for bikes with problematic cable routing in the era before Shadow rear mechs

ran Rollamajig’s on my Specialized Big Hit and Banshee Scream = happy shifting

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve got most of one in my spares box, missing the little plastic hat though I think. Brilliant little gadget if you needed one, my old XTC never shifted quite right without one! As above though I’d imagine Shadow-style mechs have made them redundant.

Milkie
    Free Member

I remember the original Crud Cog Hog from the 90’s, it definitely improved the shifting.

I still have one in my drawer for a retro bike aka bring back the 90’s & anodised purple.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive still got 2 somewhere. I remember the old crud claw too i liked them 🙂

goby

Oh sorry to highjack but would any of you be willing to part with a cog hog or rollermagic for a few beer tokens???

gonzy
    Free Member

still have one in the toolbox. waiting to go on the boys bike.
    i think they stopped being useful when shimano introduced the direct mount shadow kit

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Avid Rollamagig’ is closed to new replies.