Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Avid piston removal
  • benjii19
    Free Member

First off…I have ordered some slx brakes. Due to my avoids giving me some grief.

however I want to replace the pistons on the avid juicy 5’s on the premise I may need them if anything goes wrong with the slx. I managed to get one piston out of each caliper but can I get the other out….NO!

Any recommendations on blocking the air hole in the removed piston side of the caliper so that the other pops out?

I’m sure I’ll get some grief for even bothering with this.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

put the new piston in, one old pad and hold it in with some mole grips/pliers/tool makers clamp? That should do it, I am unsure how it is meant to be done but avid have some fantastic technical documents on their website.

Also make sure you don’t pinch the seal else you will continue to have problems. Lots of dot friendly grease.

Greybeard
    Free Member

avoids

Good typo (even if it was deliberate)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best tool for it is a cheese knife…..

BoardinBob

I’ve found removing the pads and squeezing the levers until the pistons move right out and almost touch in the middle works well. If one piston is moving more than the other then hold the dominant one in place and pump the other out.

Then split the caliper and you should now have enough of each piston sticking out to (gently) grab each one with a pair of pliers and pull them out.

coatesy
    Free Member

I normally zip tie the piston in on the side with the hose fitting, and pop the other side out by pumping the lever. I then split the caliper, remove the zip tie, press the caliper half down on a piece of innertube to seal the port, and pump air into the hose fitting hole using a plastic airbed adaptor.

benjii19
    Free Member

Some great tips thanks. I shall give them another go.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I used to drill two holes and unscrew/pull them with some needle nosed pliers

enfht
    Free Member

I bet 50p that you lubed the pistons with WD40 at some point.

You did, didn’t you..

benjii19
    Free Member

No wd40 has ever graced those pistons.

benjii19
    Free Member

I accept paypal

tommytowtruck

When I replaced a set of pistons the first one came out easily when hooked up to a compressed air line. The second one was really stuck and only budged when I got angry and smashed it to bits!

supersaiyan
    Free Member

not sure if it works with Avids (can’t see why it wouldn’t on a split caliper) but the knackered inner tube trick worked for me with a set of Hayes.

robhughes
    Free Member

The second one was really stuck and only budged when I got angry and smashed it to bits!

This is the proper method to fix any juicy brakes.You’ll have no more problems with them after this.. 😆

benjii19
    Free Member

Dismantle caliper…check
    Stick air bed valve on track pump…..check
    Wedge caliper and valve in vice…pump away!! And pop goes the weasel.

Thanks all.

BenjiM

I recently redid the pistons on my Juicy 7’s (about 4 years old) and had to drill the pistons out. However when I refitted new pistons I used Avids Dot Grease smeared around the seal. Not cheap, but they haven’t seized up yet which I believe is a common problem with Juicy brakes.

enfht
    Free Member

No wd40 has ever graced those pistons

Doh, meant GT85… I raise my bet to 100 English pence.

RustyMac

When I have done avid callipers it has always been the inside piston (one closest to the hub) that has been sticky, because of this I force that one out first with the hydraulic pressure of the brake and holding the outside (piston on the hose entry side) with a spanner. It is easier to force out the outside piston with air after.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Avid piston removal’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts