Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Avid OEM pad life?
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

So, had my new bike for a month now, Avid Elixir brakes – went for a spin this morning on the north downs and 45 minutes in, I'm down to bare metal.

Are avids hard on pads, or is it just the shitty pads, or surrey hills grinding paste?

Any recommendations for long life pads?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Lots of factors combine to wear pads down.

Inproper bedding in, braking technique, ride conditions, brake set-up.

I've gone through pads in one ride (both aftermarket and genuine) and I've also had seemingly everlasting sets (both aftermarket and genuine).

atlaz
    Free Member

Right now (and since the snow melt), Surrey hills are a nightmare for pads so it could be that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wolvens Lane down to the Rookery, perhaps? That's a real pad killer!

nuke

Yeah, I've found Surrey Hills to disintegrate pads fairly quickly. Set of Superstar pads didn't even get me to Dorking from Holmbury Hill….guess I didn't bed them in properly 🙄

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I must have been lucky up till now. Pads have always lasted a good few months for me in the past – I thought that the change of bike may have been the cause – more powerful brakes, riding faster?

Prob just the grit fest

CFH – could be – is that the one at the end of winterwonderland where you turn left down the hill? It was actually a full on river today! Ace, gutted it ended too soon, wish I'd bitten the bullet and just bought some from pedal and spoke now…

GrandWazooo
    Free Member

I had more than 2000 miles in the chilterns on the stock pads that came with my juicy 5's – however I think Beds Clay is particulary forgiving on parts

steveh

I've found the pads in my juicys and elixirs need proper bedding in or just seem to disintegrate. A few good hard stops to get them hot a couple of times seems to do it for me.

BrickMan

I bed them in on the same hill in the same manor each time yet…

oe pads round 1 = 2years
    superstar pads round 1 = 4weeks then fell apart
    superstar pads round 2 = your joking right?
    aftermarket pads round 1 = 1yr
    oe moah better pads round 1 = 2rides
    oe pads round 2 = just put them on 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Avid OEM pad life?’ is closed to new replies.