Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Avid Juicy question
  • enfht
    Free Member

Is a 160mm identical to a 180mm except for the rotor? What’s the difference?

Theres a deal on a 160mm front which I want to replace my 180mm with, don’t know if I can?

slugwash
    Free Member

You’ll also need one of these in the relevant size.
    i.e. a 160mm mounting bracket in place of the 180mm you currently have.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Avid_Caliper_Mounting_Bracket/5360016421/

A request on the STW Classifieds might get you a cheap one.

enfht
    Free Member

So the brakes are different, I can’t put one advertised as 160mm on a 180mm mount to fit my 180 rotor?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

u need a different mounting…the actual caliper is identicle

enfht
    Free Member

I’m being really stupid, why can’t I use the existing 180 Juicy mounting bracket?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you can The ONLY differences in sizes are the rotors and the bracket you use EVERYTHING else the same buy it attach to your mount ride away.

enfht
    Free Member

Is that yes or no?

😀

cheers

boblo
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    So the brakes are different, I can’t put one advertised as 160mm on a 180mm mount to fit my 180 rotor?

No the brakes are the same. Yes you can put the advertised caliper on a 180mm mount and use with a 180mm disk.

The calipers are common, you change disk and matching mount to vary the sizes.

Clear? And yes, you are being stupid 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

YES they are the same calipers are just to a set standard (post mount mainly these days) and we alter mounts to fit the rotors we choose with 160 post mount having no bracket (FRONT)
    Rears are all IS standard so always require an IS to Post adapter os whatever size
    IS mounts are 20 mmm smaller at the rear than front so a front 180 is a rear 160
    Any questions?
    Yes you the confused looking one at the back 😆

enfht
    Free Member

So it’s a NO then

cheers 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Avid Juicy question’ is closed to new replies.