Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Avid Juicy 5's brakes goodbye good riddance…anyone got Hope X2's?
  • couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

Bad brakes that have lasted 12 months. Perpetual problems.

So its either Shimano XT or Hope X2's.

I used to have the old Hope mini's which weren't exactly brilliant but that was probably 10 years ago. I'm interested to know if they've improved paticularly with regard to the squealing noise and tricky set up.

My experience of Shimano XT is faultless. 3 years and never touched them once apart from new pads.

Reluctant
    Free Member

XTs are better than Hopes in my experience at the present time. Hopes have been going down and down in my estimation for years, although I must confess, I haven't tried XC2s yet. Once Shimanos are set up, they just quietly get on with the job, which is the way i like things to be.

The-Duke

I'm also thinking of swaping my juicy 5's, did think about the XC2's but really like the look of the new formula rx, not sure if their for sale yet though.

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

Its a tough one….I really want to buy British.

thefallguy
    Free Member

love the hope tech brakes, they have been faultless and after 3 years of high maintenance juicy 5's and ultimates it feels great to have a product that just works

igm

I'm running 3 sets of Juicy's and I like them, so give me a shout on the profile email if you want to find a good home for them. (In my limited experience reliability wise Threes are better than Fives are better than Sevens by the way)

fastindian
    Free Member

had a set of 5s for 2 years with no probs at all, damb tempting fate there

Fozlett

Had some problematic juicy brakes (both 5s and Ultimates).

Went back to Hope with a set of Tech X2's and they're absolutely brilliant – worlds apart from the minis I was running 4 or 5 years ago.

RichT

What about Magura Louise? Great reliability.

RicB

really like the look of the new formula rx, not sure if their for sale yet though.

Formula RX are available in Dec from UKBikestore. £108 per brake, plus rotors. Available in white or black.

That's where my money is going 🙂

I have the Tech 4's – they are fantastic.

takisawa2

Have had Juicy's here for a few years now. No issues from 5's or 3's.
    I'd buy Hopes simply to get them union-jack levers, which are bloody gorgeous.

nickegg
    Free Member

Had Juicy 5 once, they were crap so bought 2007 Mini Monos which were great: Easy to bleed, never squealed and just worked.

Now running X2 on my Orange 5 which are the best brakes i've ever had: Plenty powerful enough (coped with a week of looooong downhills in France), easy to bleed (important if you like to that kind of thing) and the adjustments on the lever actually do something (which is useful to accomodate pad wear etc).

Never used XT though but have no reason to consider trying any other brake.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'd love to comment on how great Hope brakes are but my experience is limited by the fact that the two bikes worth of E4 Hope brakes I've got have been going strong for over ten years and I can still get pads, seals and spares if I need them.

I want the new Tech M4 brakes but as mine work so well and for so long I just can't come up with enough reason to change.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

I have Tech M4's and as far as im concerned they are the best brakes on this planet hands down !

I recently bought X2 pro's for a 29er build , they are very light but only come in a max size of 160mm rotors , they are nowhere near the power of the M4's but thats to be expected with only 2 small pots v 4 bigger ones on 203mm rotors.

Ive had juicy 5 and 7's, Avid elixirs, Shimano LX and XT then went to hopes , the Hopes are definately the best by a mile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Avid Juicy 5's brakes goodbye good riddance…anyone got Hope X2's?’ is closed to new replies.