Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Avid Juicy 3’s anygood until money permits an upgrade?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Due to circumstances out of my control money is short and i cant afford to buy the matching SLX rear disc to go with the front.

If i sell the front brand new never used i can afford a set of second hand 3’s that at least mean i could get out and ride?????

Should i wait till i can afford the rear SLX or get the 3’s and ride?

muddy_fox
    Free Member

lots of peeps I know have issues with Avid 3’s.

Not had a set myself but i have it on good authority

bomberman
    Free Member

overdraft? credit card? SLX’s supposed to be ace!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

when i bought the front slx i thought id be able to buy the rear straight away, might just try an ebay some stuff and get the slx.

Just wanna ride the damn thing.

will
    Free Member

Had my 3s for a year and 2 months now. There fitted to the big bike, so get some serious hammer! Never had any issues with them at all, there very good, and will only get replaced once they die.

Plenty of power, and feel nice to.

Get them and go for a ride.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I had no major problems with my old Juicy 3’s, they just needed bleeding, was about to bleed them, got given some K18’s sans rotors & hoses, then found some K24’s complete and couldn’t help meself!

good brakes, I was convinced I needed to stick some matchmakers on to tidy up the bars but thats kinda gone out the winda too!

bomberman
    Free Member

might just try an ebay some stuff and get the slx.

that is exactly what i would do. I’m not saying you should, but if i were you i’d do that

igm

Fit and forget – it terms of the balance of performance and reliability and lack of fettling requirement the best brakes I’ve ever had. Better than my Hope Mono Minis and currently far better than my Juicy 7s on another bike.

I paid £70 the pair for virtually unused secondhand ones just under two years ago and they just don’t need anything doing – should probably bleed them and the pads are getting low but after 2 years the still stop me when ever I want them to.

The only annoyance is that they don’t have a split bar clamp.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

right well im gonna see what i can stick on ebay, gotsome brand new raceface bits and ill try and get the slx. if not then 3’s it will be. kinda answered my own question dint i.

Good to know the 3’s will do a job if needed.

squin
    Free Member

No issues here. Run them on my 5 Spot. I run Juicy’s on all 3 bikes (the oldest being 3+years old and I’ve never had any problems. Everytime I change the pads Ispray GT85 onto the pistons and give them a little clean. So far very good!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

60 quid for a pair of v,good condition 08’s think i should just do it then?

chakaping
    Free Member

Not used them for a long time, so can’t judge reliability, but seriously impressed with their performance.

Probably as good as my XT, so presumably as good as SLX too.

glenh
    Free Member

Just ride without a rear brake, surely?

Jimbo
    Free Member

A right PITA to bleed, the pistons get sticky/gummed up and require TLC after not-many rides and they can squeal like a squeally thing.

BUT, you squeeze the lever, you stop. Job done. In fact said job is performed rather well. And they’re cheap(ish).

takisawa2

Bought some s/h for £60. Ran them for 8 months, performed perfectly. Sold on as times were hard.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Avid Juicy 3’s anygood until money permits an upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.