• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wl.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Avid Guide R brakes in the Alps – up to the job?
  • wl
    Free Member

Got Guide Rs on my bike and I’m very impressed with them generally, especially for the price. Read something about them suffering fade on long Alpine descents though – anyone had issues like this in the Alps? Or any other issues with these brakes relating to super-long downhills? Thanks v much.

mikeep
    Free Member

Nope, worked fine last year for me. Min 180 rotor on the rear and organic/semi metal pads or you’ll cook the rotor.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Just got back from 10 days in the Alps no problems

deadkenny
    Free Member

SRAM, not Avid.

Same company but the important point is the rebrand as SRAM to get away from the Avid name and make the very valid point that Guide brakes are a million times better than many old Avid brakes. So stories you hear about Avid, ignore.

That said, Avid or SRAM, fade should be less due to use of dot 5.1 which boils at a higher temperature.

Choice of pads make a difference, as does size of rotor.

I’ve used Avid X0 Trail in the alps which are forerunner to the Guide and same caliper design, and no issues at all. Often could smell others boiling their brakes down same long descents.

wl
    Free Member

Great, thanks for these replies. And yes, meant Sram. I’m running giant rotors anyway so hopefully everything will be fine. Can’t fault the brakes over here in the UK after 2 months of heavy use.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Avid Guide R brakes in the Alps – up to the job?’ is closed to new replies.