Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AVID excessive lever throw/dead band
  • ssparks77
    Free Member

any advice on how to shorten the lever throw on avid xo brakes? brakes have been bled properly with avid bleed kit and pad contact adjust all way out as per the instructions, stopping me well and looking up with one finger. However there is too much travel in the lever. I have adjusted the levers so they are reasonably close to the bars as I don’t have the largest of hands and with the brakes as they are at the minute they nearly touch the bars when pulled.
    if I bled them again with the pad contact adjust all the way in (in the direction of the arrow) will this help? id keep the bleed block in place while bleeding so as not to over fill system, but would it damage the seals or cause any other problems?
    the thinking behind it is that if I bleed with pad contact adjust in I could then dial it out once bleed complete to get a short lever throw.
    lots of reviews online slate the excessive lever throw, but there has got to be a way of sorting it surely?
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

rickon
    Free Member

Take the wheels out, pump the lever twice on each side – pop the wheels back in, back the pad contact off until the wheel spins freely.

Repeat until it’s right 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

As they come out of the box, they usually need a proper(read time consuming)bleed, and freeing off of tight/sticky pistons. My method is to remove one pad, and brace the rotor against the other whilst pulling the lever, allowing the piston out further than normal(3-4mm), push it back and repeat with the other side. Once they’re moving freely, they’ll automatically adjust themselves, and if bled properly, you’ll have a solid lever with minimal throw.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘AVID excessive lever throw/dead band’ is closed to new replies.