Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Avid Elixir R- Piston won't fully retract… helps!
  • Tiger6791

Changing the pads on a set of Elixirs and one of the pistons. (Rear inner)won’t go back fully, stands about 3mm proud.

Even if I use brute force (it will compress in) by the time I’ve got the pads in and ready to put wheel back on it’s crept out again.

So gap is too small for rotor. Could file the pads down but this seems like a hack.

What do do?

I ask the hive mind fo solutions.

RustyMac

Has the rear outer been forced back too far?
    Do you have any kind of pad adjust on the lever that could have been left pushing the pads out?
    You should be able to sort it by bleeding the brakes if you have a bleed kit if none of the above help.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If its coming out again, you’ve air in the system. You’ll need to bleed it.

Scamper
    Free Member

I always have problems putting new pads in mine, but they eventually settle down, usually after slipping an old credit card in between pad and rotor and pressing the brakes a few times.

billyboy
    Free Member

Avid are generaly pretty crap in this regard….(may need a bleed) but I’d use some brake fluid to lubricate the piston first, then force it in and out a few times and see if it levels out.

That first sentence was too long…strike “in this regard”.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

If the brake was bled with the previous set of worn pads, there may be too much fluid in the system for the pistons to both push fully back. You could try opening the bleed nipple very slightly as you lever the piston back. This will force out escess fluid and let the piston move further. Note that opening the nipple could result in air in the system you it may need bleeding afterwards.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixir R- Piston won't fully retract… helps!’ is closed to new replies.