Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Avid elixir or avid Juicy?
  • moose2008
    Free Member

I have the chance of some Avid brakes, Elixir 5 or juicy 7’s. The juicys are about 5 years old and the elixirs are last years. What’s the difference?

jonny-m
    Free Member

i think the elixir are just a replacement for the juicys but have better /easier pad installment. had juicy 5s on my last bike now have elixirs on my new one and cant tell too much difference between them tbh. as i said pad installment is much easier on the elixirs but performance wise theres nothing in it i dont think.

stumpy01

When set-up properly, I would say they feel quite similar in terms of performance. I’ve got Juicy7’s on one bike & Elixir R’s on the other.

Given the choice, I would go for the Elixirs every time as they are less fiddly to get working well, don’t seem to suffer from the pistons sticking as much as the Julie’s and pad replacement is about 100x easier.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Best thing I did on my Juicy 7’s was to replace the 160 front rotor with a 185 🙂 Now they are spot on for my HT 🙂 Elixir pads replacement is far easier but not a deal breaker. My mate has more problems with his Elixirs with pad rub then I do with my Juicies however!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’m just about to put some Elixir R’s up for sale, only done 1 dry ride, £125 for the brakes, discs, mounts and bolts. 185mm F and 160 R

tony24
    Free Member

Go with the elixer compared to the juicy brakes I had they are miles better.

AndyDuke
    Free Member

Geordiemick; I’ll take those brakes at that price if OP doesnt want them. andyduke(at)hotmail.co.uk

jambon
    Free Member

How Geordie Mick

Kinda interested in those brakes – have they got IS adapters?

Do the Elixirs take the same pads as Juicey’s?

nuke

I’ve got both…nothing against the Juicy brakes really aside the pad changes: they still do the job fine and mine have been going for 3 years+ with just the odd bleed. However the Elixir brakes are overall better and I’d get them over Juicy anyday (…in fact I’ve just bought another set from Merlin)

Do the Elixirs take the same pads as Juicey’s?

Different pads

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Jambon they have post mount Front and IS mount rear

As Nuke’s pointed out different pads to Juicy.

I used superstars sintered no problems at all on my previous bike which had Elixir CR’s…

uwe-r
    Free Member

Juicy’s are a quite an old design where as the elixer was the ‘new’ model featuring a number of improvements, taper bore technology? So the elixer should work out better and from the above id say this seems to be evident through experience. I never had juicys but I have had elixers on the bike for a while. I got a bargain at woollyhat shop online, full set for £130, and remembered favourable press comment from when the came out.

They have been ace and I recommend them

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Avid elixir or avid Juicy?’ is closed to new replies.