Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Avid elixir not holding pressure, lever squelching- HELP
  • henryrc104
    Free Member

Just booked my bike in to get my rear brake looked at, but before i take it in has anyone got any suggestions.

the rear brake basically is loosing pressure a couple of hours after it is been bled. There is no visible leaks of oil as i would expect if everything wasn’t tightened up properly. Also worth noting when i pull on the lever it seems to make a squelching sound like air may be getting in here, the other lever certainly doesn’t make this noise so this may be where the problem is.

Anyone got any ideas

Thanks Henry

hammy7272
    Free Member

Hi Henry,

This is mad, I had the exact same problem yesterday and took them to the shop to be bled. Shock, the problem returned. I am taking the bike back in this morning for them to look at it again. Sorry this doesn’t help but I’ll feedback tonight once it is returned. (it is driving me mad!)

flange
    Free Member

No help whatsoever but mine does exactely the same thing, although it happens pretty much straight after I’ve bled it. Had the shop bleed it 4 times and it still won’t hold pressue. Brake is pretty new as well but its never been great.

No visable leaks, brimmed with fluid yet it still doesn’t want to know…

henryrc104
    Free Member

yep, really frustrating I know! Fortunately it is my second bike fully rigid pace single speed. so i am having to use my full susser. but really want to get it sorted as full susser needs needs fork service oil everywhere!! plus pace rc104 is much more fun!! like you say some times it looses pressure immediately sometimes it holds over night, but pretty sure if i rode it, it would loose it straight away so its totally out of action!

let me know if you have any joy

Thanks Henry

hammy7272
    Free Member

Hmmm, if this is common problem do you think Avid will sort them out/replace? If so how long are they guaranteed for?

regards

stumpy01

I think that MBR had this problem on the Elixirs fitted to one of their long termers last yr. They ended up returning them for replacement.

jools182
    Free Member

got some new elixirs cr carbons yesterday and the front one squelched a bit when I fitted it

I’ve heard a few people have had to bleed avids from new

Pieface

Have you all de-gassed the fluid as per the Avid guide?

Is it only Avid who tell you yo do this, as Hope don’t.

hammy7272
    Free Member

O.K, the bloke at the LBS just rang apparently he needs to replace the piston seal as fluid is escaping under high pressure. £7.99 he quoted for the part. Hope this helps.

By the way, he charged £15 for the original bleed. What do you guys think is fair for him to charge me, seeing as though I had to return the next day with the same problem?

coatesy
    Free Member

If you just asked him to bleed them, and he bled them and they felt fine, then that’s a difficult one. If somebody just asks for a bleed, then I usually ask why, as they often expect a bleed to be a cure-all remedy for all sorts of underlying problems such as yours.If they’re decent and fair, then you’ll probably get a discount.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Yeah, I explained that I bled them myself but the power faded. I also mentioned it again when it was ‘fixed’. But he said alot of air came out and they would be fine. Another mechanic was in today and it seems he got to the root of the problem?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Avid elixir not holding pressure, lever squelching- HELP’ is closed to new replies.