Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Avid Elixir cr
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Anyone ever tried to replace a lever on these?

Just had a new lever delivered but the wee push rod bit is not transferable from the old lever! As far as I can see.
    Can anyone help me, due to head off to the highlands for 2 days next week and would love to fix this as brakes might be useful.

spxxky
    Free Member

Pretty sure it is – it’s just held in the lever by a plastic gromet type thing – it should just pull out the old one and then put it into the new one

spxxky
    Free Member

The only tricky bit is getting the spring back in 😉 but it can be done with patience

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

The retaining pivot lever is removable and made of plastic but the push rod actuator is metal and the only way out came out the old lever was by ripping it out. Can’t see how I get it into the new one without trying to prise the flanges apart which given its a carbon lever I’m sure will break it.
    The regular elixir5-9 have a different design.

spxxky
    Free Member

Is there no plastic bushing in the carbon lever for the rod to clip into?

spxxky
    Free Member

Watch this

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Yip! Been through those already, as I said the CR spec is different to the 5-9 versions. Scunnered.

Bullet

I have a f+r set of Elixirs taken off a Ghost AMR, only done 200 miles max. Was going to get round to putting them up for sale on here sometime – any use to you?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Could be tempted but it’s a radical solution! My email is britchie7210 at Gmail dot com.

Cheers
    B

Bullet

Surroundedbyhills – have sent you an email.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Bullet – no email received!

Clobber
    Free Member

What colour CR? I have a barely used one going cheap…

Bullet

Sorry mate, don’t know what went wrong with the email. Let me know if my Elixir 7’s are of any use to you.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Hi thanks for the offers guys but my tame mechanic got a hold of junk brake for me which cost me a tenner for the workshop beer fund!

Here’s what I learned about this:
    [*]one very small incident can cost a lot of money to repair and take your bike off the trails for 3 weeks
    people are odd on the internet inlcuding STW’ers although none on this thread 😀
    manufacuters name things at the cheaper end of the market to bask in the “apparent” glory of their stupidly expensive high end products but in fact they share ZERO components or design
    I will most likely buy all shimano from now on, it’s cheap, it works and is readily available.
    £46 for a replacement brake lever is extortion[*]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixir cr’ is closed to new replies.