Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Avid Elixir 5's; ditch or fit?
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

Rebuilding a hardtail for commuting duties and have a brand new set of Elixir 5’s with discs which I’m toying with the idea of fitting. Having never used Avids before, but hearing all the bad press they get, was wondering whether to fit, or sell on and fit something more reliable/service friendly. Any feedback greatly appreciated…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’m in the never had any problems camp.

You won’t get a great deal of money for them either way so id probably just fit them and run till they die on a commuter.

Drac

Keep, there’s nothing wrong with Avids they’re very good.

You her bad press as those that have had issue love to scream about it whenever they get the chance.

funkrodent

I’ve had a pair of Elixir 5s for a while now and never had an issue with them. Given how little you’ll get if you sell them and how much it’ll cost you to buy some new ones, I’d fit and (hopefully) forget. If you do start to have issues then you can decide whether or not to incur cost replacing them

badgerbater
    Free Member

Thanks for the prompt feedback. Yes, was thinking how the cost mounts up for a new set, including the cost of new discs. Sounds like no brainer – fit and get on with the build!

satchm00
    Free Member

I have some for commuting but when they die, they won’t be replaced.

breadcrumb

I have elixir 5s on my SS, no problems.

Then I have juicy 3s on my FS (over 5 years old) with no issues either.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ll have em. My fave best brakes ever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixir 5's; ditch or fit?’ is closed to new replies.