Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Avid Centreline rotors
  • yoshimi

I’ve got some Avid Elixer 7 Trail brakes on my Carbon Stumpy 29er. They squeal like a pig with the first sign of dampness.

I’ve read quite a lot and it’s hard to tell whether it’s the frame design or the brakes themselves that creates all the noise.

I was on the verge of swapping them to XTs but even at the cheap prices you can get them for, once you add in rotors mounts etc it ads up to quite a lot just for some noisy brakes.

So, the question is, has anyone swapped over / have any experience of the new Avis Centreline rotors? Apparently they reduce vibration and noise.

For £50 all in I’m thinking about giving them a go, but if I’m getting the same noise then I’ll just bite the bullet now and go XT.

FYI – brakes are well bled, calipers aligned, copperslip on back of pads, rotors pushed anticlockwise against bolts before tightening – not sure what else I can do

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try different pad makes / compounds?
    Its the cheapest and easiest option.

honourablegeorge

You should be able to use your existing rotors and mounts with the XTs

yoshimi

Going down the XT route – any reason that the current avid rotors and mounts can’t be used

stumpy01

What compound pads?

Try organic compound if you are using sintered.
    If you’re using sintered, then try a different brand.

That’s what I’d do before forking out on more expensive components.

Raymond

I went to them from Shimano ice tech’s on my Hope Race evo’s because the Shimano’s were noisy. The centre lines are definitely quieter but not silent. I still sometimes get a squeal when they are wet at certain lever pressures. I’m using centre lock rotors so don’t have much choice of rotors.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I have the new rotors and they’re pretty good.

I get the odd mild turkey gobble from the front under very hard braking, but other than that they’re quiet.

My previous Shimano’s would squeal slightly in the wet but would then dry out.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I jump between centrelines, Shimano and Hope floaters, due to wheel changes, and the Avids compare very favourably. The Shimanos squeal the most of the three.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Avid Centreline rotors’ is closed to new replies.