Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Avid caliper alignment – any magic tips?!
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

Does anyone else find the Avid caliper alignment a PIA? Following Avids instructions I can never get completely drag free alignment. Spent ages aligning getting the calipers drag free, but have just changed wheels over – so back to square one 👿

Does anyone have any tips for getting decent drag free alignment of Avid calipers with the cup and cone washers?

(they’re Elixirs BTW)

5lab

i just losen the bolt off, clamp the brake tight at the lever, tighten the bolts up. works a treat

_tom_
    Free Member

Been having this problem with my Juicy 5s as well. Following the avid instructions works a bit but still get rub.

longwayhome
    Free Member

1) Loosen both caliper bolts off about same amount until the caliper moves around.

2) Apply brake hard.

3) Tighten both bolts a bit.

4) Release brake and go back to 2, repeating until bolts are tight

If this isn’t what you’re already doing. Never had a problem myself, bit by bit is the key (think it gives the washers chance to align themselves).

EDIT: Damn you people are fast!

mintimperial

Only thing that’s helped with dragging on my Juicy 3s is replacing the pistons and seals in the calliper. (Yes, I do use the hold-the-brake-and-tighten-the-bolts trick – no dice.) They were dragging (and not stopping me very well) because the pistons wouldn’t retract fully, presumably because they were worn out. New pistons and seals seem to have fixed that on the rear calliper. The front one I gave up on and binned…

5lab

its also worth noting that a tiny bit of noise isn’t really drag, and (imo, although I’m sure some folk will disagree) is absolutely fine. once you’ve ridden them a bit it will go away

RustyMac

+1 5lab and longwayhome

this is what i do and it has always worked.
    If this is not working then get a clean blank white bit of paper and place it on the floor so you can see it throught the caliper and line it up by eye(note this way is way more faf).

Good luck

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Avid caliper alignment – any magic tips?!’ is closed to new replies.