Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Avid bleed kit: DIY alternatives?
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I’ve just watched an Avid ‘how to’ video on Youtube and thought, y’know, actually, that doesn’t look so complicated and off to CRC I went… £34? for a couple of syringes, hose, hose clamps and some oil (and a torx driver i guess)?

Has anyone put together their own version? Where did you get the bits from? (This may be obvious but I’m not in the habit of buying these kinds of things.)

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Someone posted on here about a DIY kit they’d knocked together.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Brilliant. Thanks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pstokes99
    Free Member

I think that some of the formula bleed kits are the same – and quite a bit cheaper

duckers
    Free Member

It works well, I recently bled a pair using that method before I sold them. I found the tube and connector parts in pets at home for a couple of quid, but its surprisingly difficult to get hold of 50mm syringes in the public domain… ebay is your best bet (unless you are/you know a nurse).

Wally

50mm syringes are like those 20p’s with no dates, 50ml on the other hand.
    ebay search for them

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Lol. Good stuff thanks – I’d just sat back to down to type, “Uh, where can i find the syringes?” 🙂

Dot 4 oil? Motorbike/car spares shop?

EDIT: Just found dot 4 brake fluid oil. 500ml for £2.39 online so i guess my local auto spares shop should be similar.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

After using syringes I’d never go back to squeezy bottles, but then I’d never go back to avids either.

grumm
    Free Member

Might as well use DOT 5.1 – its not much more and better.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Might as well use DOT 5.1 – its not much more and better.

And it’d be okay in Avid 3s? The documentation on the SRAM website advises DOT 4 but then again they’re also pushing the Avid Bleed Kit so I’m all ears if 5.1 is fine as a substitute. Am i right that it doesn’t heat up* as quickly as 4?

*Might not the right term but you know what i mean.

grumm
    Free Member

Yup DOT 5.1 and 4 are compatible, I’ve got Juicy 3s and it was fine, even says on top of the brake lever on mine – the bleed kit comes with 5.1. It boils at a higher temperature so will be less prone to brake fade on long descents.

mhuk
    Free Member

The Formula bleed kits work with Avid Juicy (the brass threaded connectors fit prefectly) and I used a bread bag plastic clamp on the tubes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Avid bleed kit: DIY alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.