Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Avid BB7 – What pads for all round commuting?
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Looking for new pads for my BB7, for commuting in all conditions. Not sure how much of a factor noise in, but longevity is more important I reckon!

Avid has organic, semi-metallic and sintered pads available, but also open to other brands that are avail in the EU. I’ve read a lot of people recommend EBC Gold Sintered pads which you can find on ebay.co.uk!

globalti
    Free Member

Stop agonising about it and buy the standard pads. Metallic or sintered are noisier, grip less and will wear the disc more.

Just don’t do what my colleague did after he bought my Tricross with BB7s; I saw the bike a few weeks alter in a filthy state with the brakes completely oiled up and when I asked him why, he told me he was spraying the hubs with WD40 every evening. The brakes were still performing well enough for him despite being grossly contaminated and caked with greasy filth so he hadn’t been bothered.

shermer75
    Free Member

I buy whatever’s cheap at the time, like Lifeline or Nukeproof on CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lifeline-avid-juicy-disc-brake-pads/rp-prod155570

scotroutes

Avid Sintered.

eulach

Metallic or sintered are noisier, grip less and will wear the disc more

but will still be effective in the wet.

shermer75
    Free Member

Are organic no good in the wet? I didn’t even know that..

vincienup
    Free Member

Straight Organic will work in wet but won’t live very long in such conditions. Sintered are basically made for this scenario. You trade the greater bite and less need for warming up of organic against the life and consistency of less ultimate power and more need for warming up of sintered.

prawny

I’d probably go sintered now, organic are great but having to keep tweaking the pads is a pita for commuting.

mariner
    Free Member

Sintered are louder than Hope.
    Anything but the Avid pads are rubbish – looking at you Clarks.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Lot of chaps at MTBR vote for EBC Gold, although some say they have fit issues 🙄

Lots of rain here, so sintered seems to be the way to go. Swissstop 17 sintered seems to be the best best, but is almost 2x more expensive that Avid sintered.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Never had an issue with Superstars or Uber sinted pads for my bikes that run with BB7’s.

I stock up at sale times.

scotroutes

Mine are silent. Fatbike and roadbike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Avid BB7 – What pads for all round commuting?’ is closed to new replies.