• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Avid bb7 – Differences between road and mtb versions
  • Rik
    Free Member

Just googled and eBay'd for some cheap bb7 road calipers and found loads of cheap OE bb7 mtb calipers but the road ones seem very expensive and no good offers.

Planning on using them with campag ergo levers – can you make the mtb ones work with road levers. If so how?

If not does anybody know of a cheap place for bb7 road calipers

Cheers

clubber
    Free Member

They have different leverage – basically the length of the lever the cable fixes to. It's longer on the mtb ones. If you use an mtb one with road levers, it'll be very spongy and have little clearance.

thomthumb
    Free Member

the difference is the cable pull

i would guess (and it is a guess) that the arm is a different length.

there are travel adjusters that makes v's work with road levers (which is what you want) i'm just not sure that they'll fit on the discs.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/userimages/procart22.htm

Rik
    Free Member

So looks like I will need the road ones then.

Anbody know of somewhere cheap? Or any experiences of the shaman versions as they seem to be a better price.

rOcKeTdOg

What clubber said, I got my pair from Sam@singular

Sam

I think I have some BB5 roads in the shed, drop me a line.

geoffj

If you don't need STIs then Diacompe and Tektro do drop levers with the required pull for MTB BB7s

epicyclo

I'm sure I saw road BB7s at a good price on one of the big sites recently. Sorry can't remember which one – it only registered because I have a set.

warpcow
    Free Member

Yep, there's definitely somewhere with an offer on just now, but I can't for the life of me remember. I was looking at either them or drop levers for mtb, and went for the latter seeing as they only cost $25 shipped from the USA.

markenduro
    Free Member

On-one are knocking them out on offer at the moment.
    The arms are the same length between road and mtb versions, it is the internal cam action which is different, outside they are identical.

scaredypants

jenson usa is pretty cheap for avid stuff (you will get a bill for customs & handling but still often beats UK mail order giants)

(I've got road bb7 on my winter mtb to give a bit more mud clearance – works "fine" but I reckon mtb brake on a road lever would take very frequent adjustments, or foul the disc)

Rik
    Free Member

Cheers Geoff,

Basically want to trasfer as much stuff of my current road bike (which is now a write-off) as i can. So have campag 9 speed set up

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Avid bb7 – Differences between road and mtb versions’ is closed to new replies.