Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Avid 5 160mm to 180mm
  • jody
    Free Member

Good Morning Peeps,

Just after a little advice. I have a 2012 Giant Anthem that is running Avid Elixir 5 brakes which are 160mm front and rear. I would like to convert (if possible) to a 180mm front disc.

I can’t find any info for how to do this. Obviously I need a new disc but do I need to swap the caliper/pads or do I just need a new bracket that fits on the forks?

teethgrinder

Correct. New disc and a new adaptor – either post to post or IS to post, depending on the mount on the forks.

jody
    Free Member

Thanks for that. What is post to post mount or IS to post?

stumpy01

Post mount or IS mount relates to how the brake fits to the fork. Two little posts on the fork is, erm, post mount and two holes is IS mount.

Post mount:

IS mount:

EDIT – I think the Avid brakes are post mount on the caliper, so you would need ‘IS to post’ or ‘post to post’ as mentioned above to make them fit the fork.
    Merlin Cycles has quite a good range of adaptors and it’s fairly easy to work out what they are on about. EDIT TWO – ignore that, they hardly have any in stock!

jody
    Free Member

😀 That makes sense. My forks are post mount so I assume I need this bracket and a disc

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/avid-mount-adaptor-front-post-185mm/rp-prod13717

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

^ that particular adaptor is for a 185mm disc.

just saying. you’ll need to make sure you get all 180mm adaptors/rotors.

stumpy01

If you get a 185mm disc (rather than a 180mm) then yes, that should fit.

I think Avid recently swapped from 185 to 180mm rotors (when I say recently, I mean in the last couple of years), so just make sure you end up with the right sized rotor.

jody
    Free Member

Mine must have 2012 onwards type brakes as they are 160mm and not 165.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/anthem.x.2/9333/49871/#specifications

Must be this one

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/avid-cps-brake-mount/rp-prod75477

**20mm PM – 180 PM Front and 160 PM Rear**

richardthird

I have the same bike. I assume you’re after better braking? Keep the 160 rotors, replace brakes with Shimano Deore or SLX, sell Avids for about £50 on eBay. If they’re not yet driving you mad after each ride, they soon will.

jody
    Free Member

^ My friend also has the same bike and he swapped out for XT all round. Mine are working fine but would just like a little more bite on the front.

What problems have you had with yours?

richardthird

Agree they were ok when they worked.

Seals go – lube then rebuild necessary
    Need to let fluid out when fitting new pads
    Rubbing after every ride needing realigning.
    Noisy. Mickey mouse reach adjust.
    Poxy caliper shims

Shimano are generally fit and forget. Work and feel better too.
    And SLX will match your shifter/s 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Avid 5 160mm to 180mm’ is closed to new replies.