Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • avid 3's quick help please
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Not been working well on the rear at all and squealing like a man who’s zipped up a bit too quick!! Just changed the pads, squealing stopped, calliper is still getting plenty of grip, as in you can’t turn the wheel with your hand but as soon as you ride on it it just doesn’t have the ability to stop. Any ideas, contaminated rotor or bleed required, lbs just fitted a new hose so it seems odd!!

mintimperial

Juicy 3s? Give up, buy something else.

Or you could try what I did:

Take dodgy brake to LBS, observe how spending £40+ with them doesn’t make any difference at all, decide to fix it yourself instead. Give the rotor a really good clean, make sure it’s all aligned properly. Bleed. Change the pads again, realign again. Strip down the caliper and replace the seals, bleed and align again. Replace pads and clean rotor again. Strip down lever, bleed again, clean and align everything again. Give up, throw away and buy new brake.

Cheaper and much easier to just throw it away straight off I reckon…

wrightyson
    Free Member

To be fair mint I’ve had em over a yr now and this is the first problem, what’s the best and easily acquired thing for cleaning the rotor ?? Meths??

flyingmonkeycorps

Halfords sell a rotor cleaner, I believe. Worked for me…

yunki
    Free Member

warm water.. fairy liquid and a scrubbing brush..?

did you bed the pads in properly..?
    like really properly..?

not had a problem with my juicy 3s over the course of two years.. tonnes of filth.. 1000s of off road miles.. many pad changes and next to no maintainance.. although I’m aware that some folk haven’t got on so well with them..

mintimperial

For cleaning soapy water works fine normally. I tried some fancy brake cleaner to shift any oil contamination that may have got in, and that did help a bit.

To be fair, I suspect I’ve just been a bit unlucky with one of my Juicy 3s. As others say they can work fine for ages, and the other one is still going strong with little more than a regular hose down and new pads. I just get annoyed when I can’t fix a thing myself…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Literally just put the pads on so no they’re not bedded yet! I’ll get the scrubbing brush out tonight then as no halfords near here! Am I right in thinking best way to bed em in is a good few descents on a road etc with them just touching the rotors?

yunki
    Free Member

the aim is to get them good and hot.. past a certain temp so that a ‘braking surface’ forms on.. the surface of the pad I guess..

the method you mention above is as good as any other.. steep hills are your friend here..

I don’t usually expect new pads to be up to a really good working condition until after a fair few miles of hard riding and braking..

Lifer
    Free Member

And don’t start doing stoppies until the pads are fully bedded in, otherwise when they bite you’ll get a suprise.

Or so I’ve heard 😳

On the other point if the pads are gripping the rotor without pulling the lever then you probably need to push the pistons back in.

wrightyson
    Free Member

No they’re fine with the rotor running thro them lifer, just don’t bite when they’re under load, ie my fat ass! They’ll get a run out at Cannock on Saturday but from what I hear the mud and general boggyness is enough to slow you down at the moment!!!!! Oh and as for stoppies its the rear brake so its no wheelies at the moment!!

Lifer
    Free Member

Mud and horribleness is good for bedding in!

TheFopster
    Free Member

Never used to bed in pads, but have a fancy schmancy new bike now so thought I’d better make the effort. Rode up to top of a big road hill and then came down accelerating rapidly up to decent speed then stoppping repeatedly all the way down the hill. Decided at the bottom to see if I had got them hot enough by lightly touching the rotors with my fingertips. Bad idea, as it turned out…
    😳
    On the upside, they don’t squeel. And I shall bed in pads from now on. Will not bother touching them though…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Also check that both pads are moving at the same time and they touch the rotor at the same time. I had a “lazy piston” once that caused similar probs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘avid 3's quick help please’ is closed to new replies.