Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Avid 3 useless, suggestions for upgrade please?
  • sparrowcar
    Free Member

Just did my first gravity enduro here in Ireland and apart from my fitness the only other thing that let me down was my Avid elixir 3 brake set that came with my Canyon nerve AL+.

They became shockingly bad as the day went on. I see loads of talk about Shimano XT’s and Zee’s, should I look any further or will I notice a huge difference with them alone. Also is it recommended to change your rotors while doing levers and callipers as well?

Thanks in advance.

poah
    Free Member

change the pads first.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I’ve not used the newer shimano brakes so can’t comment but I’ve heard a lot of good things about them. I have a set of 2008/9 hope mono m4s that I’ve just moved from bike to bike that are still as good now as they were when I first bought them. So I’d be inclined to say go for hopes but it’ll depend on your budget. Personally I’d change the rotors at the same time.

kendo954
    Free Member

Slx are hard to beat for the money… Iv downgraded??? From formula mega to slx and find them great

jamiep
    Free Member

Deore. £63 a pair

ratherbeintobago

Deore. £63 a pair

This. A mate has just bought a bike with Avid 3’s on, which failed before he even got out of the shop on the test ride. Has Deores on which he’s very happy with.

Only reason anyone specs Avids must be because they come as an OEM bundle with SRAM transmission & RS forks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

They became shockingly bad as the day went on.

Any idea why?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I recently changed from Elixirs 7’s to Deores for £69, after rubbing brake issues and 1 complete new leaver under warranty.

Deores are unbeliveable for the money and in no way feel cheap or work cheap.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have XTs on my good bike. The bike is broken and in the mean time I’ve built up a cheap hardtail with Deores.

The XTs are very good, but the Deores, especially for what they cost, are superb. Can’t recommend them enough. Cheap in pairs from Ribble Cycles.

sparrowcar
    Free Member

Pads were new a month ago so it’s not them.
    The brakes were blead a few months ago and just seem to loose lever strength as the day went on. The lever ended up touching the bar towards the end of the day. Also the noise of them permanently is so tiring.

Pete-B
    Free Member

I got Formula C1’s with my new bike. First ride and they seriously needed bleeding (gobsmacked really – imagine the same scenario with a car?).
    The LBS did it but a few weeks later they got a big soft again. Not as bad as before but not sharp.
    I figured I’d buy a bleed kit and did it myself this weekend. What a faff compared to my old Hope Minis. Not surprised if they weren’t done 100% last time.
    Hopefully they’re sorted but if fundamentally crap will either get Shimanos or push the boat out & get Hopes depending on other user opinions.

Got to say the Elixers on my old bike are pin sharp – whether that’s due to bigger rotors on smaller wheels I don’t know.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Avid 3 useless, suggestions for upgrade please?’ is closed to new replies.