Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Average speed
  • Shorty121
    Free Member

I know there's lots of factors that need to be considered but what would be peoples average speed in the peak district?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wow, talk about an impossible question to answer. I mean the peak district is massive and one trail could yield a totally differnt average one direction to the other. Plus one person to the next could have almost an order of magnitude difference in average speed. Not even worth asking IMO!

RealMan
    Free Member

RealMan
    Free Member

Assuming you are talking about mountain biking, and not road riding, or driving, or ostrich racing.

carriegold
    Free Member

doing what?

Walking?
    Abseling?
    Falling off a route?
    Falling off a bike?
    Riding mountain bike?
    Riding road bike?
    Driving car?

😉

bedmaker

7 for me too

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Ha – 8 for me

bedmaker

Apparently glupton is 8 though
    i meant 9

loddrik
    Free Member

asparagus

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, just thinking out loud here…

i often think in terms of 'hills' in the peak district before i think of distance.

ie, a 4 hill ride, or a 2 hill ride, and the 'planning ahead' part of my brain usually reckons that each hill will take about an hour; up + faffing + down + faffing.

even after a longish ride, 4 or 5 hours, it's interesting to see how little distance i've actually covered.

this was a long-winded way of saying: about 5miles an hour. Yes i can go quicker, but only if i don't stop for photo's / faffing / views / chatting / cake / pork pies.

RealMan
    Free Member

So if you measure your average speed in hills per hour, your average speed is 1?

1 isn't very high. Its nothing compared to the aforementioned 7, 8, and even 9s.

samuri
    Free Member

If you're not doing 10 you should pack up and go home.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Oops I meant mountain biking. And I know there could be lots of variables I would like to know a average or so or other peoples

coffeeking
    Free Member

You can't possibly ask that, I'm sorry but that's mental. OK you can ask it, but any answers are worthless. From one trail to the next your speed will vary, massively. Even on the same section of trail your speed could vary hugely depending on whether you plan a long ride or you're only out for a sprint. I average 9 on one trail, 12 on the next, 4 if I stop for lunch….

grumm
    Free Member

Dunno about the Peaks but my average speed in the Lakes is pitiful I suppose. I reckon on about 7 km/hr 🙂

Stu

samuri
    Free Member

Mountain biking? 12 then.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I'd say we average around 5-6 mph round the peaks on average. Although we do chat/take photos/faff quite a bit.

pypdjl
    Free Member

almost an order of magnitude difference in average speed

You must know some very slow and very fast people!

Drac

What route?

andy7t2
    Free Member

20 miles in 2hrs 20 with 4 hills so about 9

johni
    Free Member

7-10km/hr is usually a good bet. Allows for faffing, rest stops, mechanicals etc.

vinnyeh

almost an order of magnitude difference in average speed

LOL

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Much more variable than the Naismith rule for walking, but about 10 km/hour is what the Scottish Mountain Bike Leader scheme suggest. Obviously has to be weighted sensibly by looking at the route and terrain

MrNutt
    Free Member

I never travel at anything less than godspeed, be it walking, cycling or sitting in a wheelbarrow.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

My average moving speed for 2010 is 8.7 mph, average including breaks is 7.9 mph.
    The above information does however include commuting, the Grassington CRC marathon and a little pootling around Clumber park with our baby in the trailer.
    Most of the mountain biking has taken place in the Peak District though, I think.

(Thank you Ascent for the fun, but ultimately wasted on me data logging 🙂 )

clubber
    Free Member

33JF for me though on a good day, I've been known to manage 12xj.

portlyone

Depends on how big the hills you're riding pushing up are.

LsD
    Free Member

I have no dad and nobody cares about me.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

my bum hurts.

Tyredocter
    Free Member

15-20 flat 25+to Oh Shern!downhill and about 1-3hills All in mph

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've averaged 2mph on a slow short ride with punctures. I've averaged 10mph on a lot of rides. Not that 'ard is it 🙂 But very variable, as said!

TheSanityAssassin

I'd like to dry bum Cynic-Al.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Average speed’ is closed to new replies.