Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Average Joe In Morzine?
  • dandan
    Free Member

hello folks,

My mate has persuaded me to go to morzine with him and ten of his mates in july, they are all experienced riders.

I am fairly new to mtbing, can get round all black routes at glentress, coedy brenin etc with quite ease… But i am just an average Joe (no down hill deamon)

I am a bit nervous of injuring myself if I am to be honest, do you think Morzine may be a little bit too much for somebody such as myself?

tracknicko
    Free Member

no you'll be fine. we had some complete muppet guests, some of which would drink at lunchtime on top of being over confident and crap on a bike…

none of them died.

take it steady and you'll be fine. my mrs has ridden lots of it.

nickc

can get round all black routes at glentress, coedy brenin etc with quite ease

If you can manage these, you'll be fine. It's not that much different TBH

mildred

You'll be fine. If your mates are wanting to hammer the downhills and you're not confident I'd reccommend a guided ride – tell them what type of riding you want and they'll know where to go. They always know the most appropriate trails.

If you're going independantly, i.e. not with a guided company, go see Steve & Sue at Trail Alpine at Chalet Thallasa, Route De avoriaz. They've been guiding around the Portes des Soleil for years, and although French rules now mean its quite hard to be a guide if you're not french, I'm sure they'll happily go for a ride or suggest some routes. Also get hold of a copy of Bike Fax Morzine Les Gets guide.

midgebait
    Free Member

I went there with Mrs Midgebait two years ago and we both managed to get around nearly all of the XC routes accessible using the Portes des Soleil lift pass. We didn't venture onto the downhill routes and found the riding no more difficult than you'd find in the UK. We don't usually get onto the black trail centre routes here either.

Well worth the trip out. As mildred recommends, we used the Bike Fax guide to help plan days out.

pappamoomin01
    Free Member

I've been out four years on the trot and had a fantastic time each visit. Get away from the DH tracks and across towards Switzerland and you'll find tracks that are very similar to the 7Staines but slightly more exposed and with longer technical sections. I had two guys with me last year who weren't hugely confident, but both gave it a good old go. Nobody hurt themselves because they were sensible and knew their limits. If you'd ride it at home, then you can ride it out there, it'll just take a while longer to get down it.

slowmedown
    Free Member

The Portes du Soleil, like all other alpine resorts are businesses, and play for everyone's €€€€€'s. They do try to cater for kids and families as well as DH nutters, though it is actually harder to cater for the family end, given the steepness of the slopes. If you can ride a bike, you'll have a good time.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Loads of good 'XC' trails around Morzine. They just point downhill. We have used a french guide for the last few years and can highly recommend him. Mail me if you'd like his contact details. Also Nick at The Search MTB does daytrips out from Morzine which are really good.

stevomcd
    Free Member

French rules now mean its quite hard to be a guide if you're not french

No, not really. French rules mean it's quite hard to be a guide if you're not qualified, which is entirely different!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

If you avoid the DH courses you will be fine. Main difference is the trails are generally much steeper and go on for a lot longer than the stuff you will ride in the UK. Initially could be a bit intimidating i guess, but you get used to it after a while.

Bleed your brakes before you go and get some arm/leg pads (despite what the online STW hardmen will say otherwise) You will be travelling at much higher speeds so any gravel rash, etc will be a lot worse and could save spoiling your holiday.

mk1fan
    Free Member

No, not really. French rules mean it's quite hard to be a guide if you're not qualified, which is entirely different!

It's European rules that mean you need to be qualified, however some French regions decided that only French Qualifications were valid.

lister

…but don't discount the DH runs completely…the Pleney run is really not that tricky, it's just the length of run that makes holding on and braking harder.

The only trail I couldn't ride was some crazy locals unofficial downhill that incorporated bits of cliff and stuff…don't follow the locals off little trails that start round the back of berms!

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

….or ride our natural trails before you go. A Lakes,or Peaks ride would be a good warm-up.

bintangman
    Free Member

I'd agree with Lister – the DH runs can be good fun, especially round Linderets and Chatel. Its the ones built by the locals that scared the life out of me. I got a full face helmet for the trip and that gave me more (misplaced?!) confidence.

bintangman
    Free Member

I'd agree with Lister – the DH runs can be good fun, especially round Linderets and Chatel. Its the ones built by the locals that scared the life out of me. I got a full face helmet for the trip and that gave me more (misplaced?!) confidence.

pablojm
    Free Member

I'm worse than average and loved it – rent/buy/borrow some body armour and a full face helmet and go for it!

pablojm
    Free Member

I'm worse than average and loved it – rent/buy/borrow some body armour and a full face helmet and go for it!

mk1fan
    Free Member

I'd recommend a pair of googles too. Work so much better in the damp than glasses do.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The DH runs are fine and not much to worry about. Just go steady and be sensible with your speed and pull over when a monster 8" DH bike comes thundering by with a French kid on it.

Pleny is great and quite tame IME.

In July the braking bumps shouldn't be too bad either and they seem to repair te trails these days too.

stevomcd
    Free Member

It's European rules that mean you need to be qualified, however some French regions decided that only French Qualifications were valid.

No, no and no.

The European rules do not give people the right to take qualifications accepted in the UK to other countries. The fact is, there is no legal requirement at all to be qualified in the UK (unless working with kids).

The rules do allow qualifications which are EQUIVALENT to those in other European countries to be inter-changeable. With some justification, the French don't consider the few days training required for an MBL award to be equivalent to their own or other European training schemes. British guides who do hold an acceptable British qualification are perfectly legal to work in France. There are a few out there (e.g. Gareth at Endless Ride, Jamie at Ride the Alps, Jules Fincham and, very soon I hope, me!).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Average Joe In Morzine?’ is closed to new replies.