Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • av vote timesaver
  • sweepy
    Free Member

Anyone here going to vote yes to av? Im voting no so we could both save ourselves the bother.

z1ppy

Yes & think I managed to convince an 85 year old young lady about the advantages of it as we walked in together (she wasn’t even aware of the vote). The cat’s on youtube convinced me see!

Naahhhh, now you need to find some-one else with a no vote to beat us!!!

alfabus
    Free Member

I’m a yes, but won’t be going to the polling station today. that any good for you?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grum
    Free Member

I voted yes already, why are you voting no?

catfood
    Free Member

Yes from me

sweepy
    Free Member

alfabus. your the man for the job- I wont go if you dont 🙂

I think my leaning to the no vote is based mainly on the premise that I want the Libdems to get the biggest kicking possible, The Tories are just being Tories, but the Libdems betrayed us IMO.
    I do accept however that I am no Andrew Marr, Ive not got much faith in , or knowledge of politics.

alfabus
    Free Member

deal.

grum
    Free Member

I think my leaning to the no vote is based mainly on the premise that I want the Libdems to get the biggest kicking possible, The Tories are just being Tories, but the Libdems betrayed us IMO.

I’m massively disappointed with the Lib Dems too, but the system is rotten, and this is a tiny step in the right direction.

Turnout has been pitifully low in my local area apparently.

Lifer
    Free Member

Turnout is what could save the yes vote 😕

mk1fan
    Free Member

Can’t see the point in AV. I’ll be a No.

uplink
    Free Member

Turnout has been pitifully low in my local area apparently.

Out for a couple of hours around the villages this morning, I must have passed at least a dozen polling stations and didn’t see a single person going in or out
    there’s a lot of postal voting going on though

for the record, I’m a ‘no’ – I believe my opinion has prevailed by all accounts

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Turnout is what could save the yes vote

Low turnout would be the get out clause for either loser I imagine. Local elections never get a big turnout anyway. Not sure if the AV vote would pull in any more voters that weren’t going anyway. Bound to get apathy unfortunately in Lab/Con safe seats as it wouldn’t make a difference. Would be interesting to see the stats in more marginal regions.

grum
    Free Member

Can’t see the point in AV. I’ll be a No.

Have you actually looked into the arguments?

for the record, I’m a ‘no’ – I believe my opinion has prevailed by all accounts

Apathy and fear of change has won, yay!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Everyone i’ve met (in real life, not on stw) who is a “no” or “don’t know” has misunderstood the system, and after i’ve explained it they’ve turned into a “yes”.

uplink
    Free Member

Apathy and fear of change has won, yay!

you deduced this gem from ?

sweepy
    Free Member

Maybe that low turnout is a form of vote, I did used to be quite political but now I just have no faith in any of them. I just feel that by voting im lending credibility to a system that is indeed rotten.

Deal done Alfabus

Bez

By “betrayed us” I take it you voted for them. In which case, why is it when you get the chance to vote for a Lib Dem policy of greater representation, you reject it purely because some other policies have – inevitably – had to be dropped due to the nature of coalition? You’re saying it’s better to vote no because the Tory party, of which you speak disparagingly, has been consistent on this matter, than the Lib Dems have had to make concessions? Is the worth of a policy solely determined by whether someone’s stuck by it for longer? Because that seems to get in the way of progress rather.

I don’t understand the “Nick Clegg’s pissed me off so now for that reason alone I’m going to vote against the things I previously voted for” philosophy.

BigJohn

Can’t you just press the AV button on your TV remote?

Northwind

In that leaflet, the example of the race says that the guy who came last in the first round ends up winning, which is impossible. Nice work.

alfabus
    Free Member

It may be worth pointing out that although will be abiding by the letter of the OP’s original proposal, I’m probably not entering into the spirit of it.

I won’t be going to a polling station today, because I voted ‘Yes’ by postal vote last week.

Sorry if that adds to your opinion that all politics is duplicitous sweepy 😉

Dave

emma82
    Free Member

I voted yes after that VT with the snow bloke and the poor souls who wanted to go the pub but had to go to a crap coffee shop instead cos of fptp. No way am I sitting in a coffee shop when I could be in a pub. 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Dan Snow’s video made my mind up.

I’d prefer to go for a coffee than the pub so I voted NO.

grum
    Free Member

alfabus, you’ve just made me genuinely lol 😆

I suppose he’s still got a few hours to make it down and beat your cunning ruse.

sweepy
    Free Member

Curses, ive been done.

Can’t you just press the AV button on your TV remote?

Ah ha, ill not press it- take that alfabus

for the record ive never actually voted Libdem, I just feel betrayed cos they’ve split the left for years, then kissed up to the Tories for a sniff of power.

alfabus
    Free Member

I thought I’d at least give him a chance to go and vote…. that is how dedicated I am to allowing everyone to have their say, regardless of whether I agree with them or not 😉

Exit polls don’t look good, looks like we’re under the boot of petty two party swinging politics for the foreseeable future; where ‘opposition’ means “I disagree with everything the government says” and the moderate majority remains unrepresented.

ho hum. a sad day for British democracy.

Dave

epicsteve
    Free Member

Turnout seemed pretty good at our polling station, but that’s probably more to do with the Scottish elections than the AV vote.

I voted no. I might have been interested in a proper attempt at a PR system but the proposed AV system will change nothing so isn’t worth the cost of implementing.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I voted yes, my dad voted no, and my mum didn’t vote so may as well have not bothered! 😛

epicsteve
    Free Member

Could well be a very bad night for the LibDems – almost certainly a strong No on AV plus probably taking a battering in the other elections.

Being in bed with the Tories isn’t going to go down well in Scotland so they might get destroyed up here.

emsz
    Free Member

Voted yes.

alfabus
    Free Member

I’m sick of everyone going on about the libdems… they have nothing to do with it, this was a referendum on electoral reform which would have benefitted everyone except those with a vested interest in the status quo – namely whichever of the big two happens to be in power at the moment.

voting ‘no’ because you don’t like nick clegg is just cutting your nose off to spite your face, in 50 years no-one will remember nick clegg, but they will still be stuck with first past the post. the disillusionment everyone talks about is not going to go away while we have fptp; if a new party popped up tomorrow that was everything you say you’d like in politics, they wouldn’t stand a chance of election because of the entrenched 30% in every constituency which picks red or blue because that is what their parents/newspaper did.

very effective no campaign. throw loads of shit and lies around and make it a negative popularity contest.

epicsteve, I really hope your comment about implementation cost wasn’t related to the 250 million bullshit figure they are so fond of trotting, I believe that was debunked further up the page. You say you would have gone for PR, well you can kiss goodbye to a chance for that in our lifetimes.

Dave

epicsteve
    Free Member

epicsteve, I really hope your comment about implementation cost wasn’t related to the 250 million bullshit figure they are so fond of trotting

Nope – based on my opinion that even if it only cost 10p it’d still be too much…

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I voted NO like most sensible people did

carbon337
    Free Member

2x yes here in Carbon towers.

andy7t2
    Free Member

i put yes as my first choice and no as my second 😀

kimbers

just after the expenses scandal there wouldve been a huge turnout for the av vote and a resounding yes
    its amazing how quickly the british public are happy to sit back and chow down on the bs spouted by the ruling elite
    a ‘new politics’ my arse

in a nation where more people vote for xfactor/big brother than an election we probably deserve fptp

breatheeasy
    Free Member

just after the expenses scandal there wouldve been a huge turnout for the av vote and a resounding yes

Do you reckon? I think people would realise either way of voting would result in 95% of the current MPs being voted in thus would make no difference to their dodgy claims.

coffeeking
    Free Member

They’ll still vote tactically with AV.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Oh good, a reasoned and well thought out argument regarding a change to the entire voting system in the UK.

Glad I’ve already voted or your comprehensive and intelligent argument may have persuaded me I must have read the arguments for and against the wrong way. Obviously I should have realised one side of the argument was bullshit and complete misinformation and the other side was, well, bullshit and complete misinformation. But bullshit and complete misinformation as espoused by the greatest intellectual minds the UK can produce, comedians.

Why on EARTH would we listen to a celebrity of any kind in connection with ANY subject whatsoever? I would not regard a Professor of Economics as a person qualified to debate frame design with Brant et al, even if I respected his intelligence generally. Why would I listen to an actor – mark that – an actor, who is inherently unlikely to be able to contribute to an intelligent discussion, and is inherently a practiced liar. That is, after all, what an actor does well.

In fact, I would be more likely to vote opposite to a celebrity, if for no other reason than it shows the paucity of merit in the arguments of that campaign if they have to wheel out actors for the lack of anyone more qualified. Bah.

jonba
    Free Member

Ah but you always get that. If you disagree with “my” opinion then you obviously just got brainwashed by the meedja but I formed my own opinion based on a detailed study going right back to first princpiples and raw data.

I voted no by the way. I want change but not to AV as I think it has as many negatives as the current system all be it they are slightly different. I’ve been very frustrated though by the crap arguements on both sides. Things like making it a party political issue, the one person one vote thing and the fact that AV is supposedly complicated.

richc
    Free Member

I voted yes, but I think that the sensible camp lost.

Shame really, as that means we are stuck with the crappy system we have for the rest of my life, as the tories have already indicated that they will intepret a No vote as meaning that you are happy with the system as it is.

AV was the first step to PR, however we have wasted that chance of getting what we actually wanted now.

I have to admit Cameron played the Liberals very well though, as he has made the look even stupider than they have been acting over the last year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘av vote timesaver’ is closed to new replies.