Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AV types – anyone gone Dolby Atmos?
  • I’m liking the idea behind this – anyone got a set-up and impressed/disappointed by it?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes, i’ve got it installed. I’ve not been able to install the speakers in an optimal position so i’m not really noticing a difference. My ceiling is also a strange shape so I can’t see how the sound will be reflected in the way the system suggests it should. I’m a bit suspicious of any reflective sound systems, they never seem to work that well in my experience, so far ATMOS has not really added anything to my system. I’ve not really had a play to see if there is any way to optimise it or fine tune it though. Again, one of those features where if it is there when you are in the market for a new amp, they you may as well have it than not, but I wouldn’t necessarily replace an amp just for it.

Is that because you are relying on upward firing speakers to give you reflected sound?

If I was going to do it, I’d do it properly with a minimum of 9.1, probably 11.1 or 2

1 or 2 sub
    1 x centre
    2 x front l/r
    2 x ceiling front l/r
    2 x rear l/r
    2 x rear ceiling l/r

then 2 x centre ceiling l/r

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes, i’ve got it working with a 5.1 set up and two upward firing reflective speakers which should ideally be positioned above the two front L&R speakers off my Onkyo TX-NR636. When I got my amp I hand’t even heard of ATMOS so never really looked into it until I was in the process of setting it up.

Cougar

What source are you feeding it, out of interest? I thought Blu-Rays were “only” encoded for 5.1? Does it interpolate the rest, how does that work?

Just normal Blu Rays will still be 5.1, but at the time of writing the below article,120 titles had been released that had been mixed in Atmos. Standard BD decks will play them

Atmos explained

Cougar

Ah, cunning. Interesting (if a bit sexist) article, ta.

CountZero

Interesting concept, they mention using standard satellite speakers mounted on the ceiling, but there are flush-mount speakers around specifically designed for just that purpose, I’m surprised they didn’t mention them. I have a feeling B&W do them, and I’d have thought car door speakers could be re-purposed for ceiling use.
    Or would they need to be set up so they can point towards the viewer/listener? If there are speakers with upward firing drivers to reflect sound from a flat ceiling, I’d have thought flush ceiling speakers would work as well, with possibly an angled spacer to give a degree of directionality.
    Not that I have either the money or inclination to install such a setup, just interested and chucking some ideas into the hat.
    Ah, yes: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/speakers/in-ceiling
    http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/moni-audio-ct165

A load of posts on AVF point towards recessed – there are indeed loads available

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘AV types – anyone gone Dolby Atmos?’ is closed to new replies.