Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AV – Speakers, amps etc question
  • Weasel
    Free Member

So….when I finally get round to buying a new TV I’m considering what sort of options I have around additional speakers, do I need an specific amp etc.

I currently have a retro Denon PMA-350 amp that you can run 4 speakers from on 2 settings, speakers A & B, so would I be right in saying I could run the ‘TV’ speakers as set B off the AUX and be done with it or doesn’t it work that way? Also, I realise the inputs on my amp may not be compatible with this modern technology lark

Or should I get a soundbar, would that be sufficient?

There seem to be numerous things for sale in Richer Sounds, so just trying to get an idea of what the options are.

Thanks.

prettygreenparrot

Depends whether you want and Dolby or DTS decoding for surround effects. If you do then you’ll need a new amp (an AV amp) and at least a good centre speaker and 2 OK rear speakers in addition to the 2 stereo speakers I’ve guessed you already have.

If not, then you can just plug your new TV’s stereo out into a spare input on your current amp and enjoy it in better stereo than the TV will manage on its own.

You don’t say what sources you have like DVD, BluRay, Sky or cable, free view box. This might help. If all you’re after is better sound than your TV’s speakers then, yes, a soundbar will be a bit better.

If you’re considering starting over and TV is what you’re after, rather than ‘Hi-Fi’ then your choices are wide and simple: get a big LCD TV with LED backlighting; get an AV amp or AV receiver; get a 5.1 set of speakers. You could go for 7.1 or 7.2 but it means more speakers, more clutter and there are few 7.1 BluRay releases. Don’t get carried away with lots of nonsense about cables. Just get fat cable for the front & centre speakers, OK cable for the rears and a regular HDMI cable for each of your sources from eBay or amazon.

you could spend anything from about £1000 & up. Sure you wouldn’t prefer a new bike?

Weasel
    Free Member

Sure you wouldn’t prefer a new bike?

I got a new bike last year, so that’s off the list for now. 🙂

Thanks for your help.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m interested in this, thinking of similar set up.

FWIW I’ve come to the conclusion that sound bars are just for “looks” a small sterio amp and a couple of speakers is going to be a massive step up on the TV speakers. There was soundbar thread a few months back. As for costs I am thinking of a few £100’s max certainly not a £1,000. I have an Apple TV which is great as I can stream video content (like Midweek mini movies) and by adding a stereo/set of speakers I can play music off iPhone via iTunes/Apple TV and also get the benefit of improved sound on TV. Currently Bose Companion 20 are in first place as they are small and I don’t want a separate woofer box and (I know they work well as I borrowed a set) if expensive at £250.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘AV – Speakers, amps etc question’ is closed to new replies.