Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • AV help. Optical to phono.
  • RustySpanner

Have an LG TV with an optical out, SCART out & a headphone out.

I want to connect this to the phono input of the little Denon system that sits under it.

Cheapest way would be to use the headphone socket, but this bypasses the AV menu on the telly, so needs to be unplugged after use.

Second option seems to be one of these:
    Digital Coaxial or Toslink to Stereo RCA Audio Converter.

Anyone use one?

Suppose I could just buy a soundbar, but they’re ugly.
    I could buy a later Denon with an Optical In, but I’m tight.
    Any other ideas?

Also have a PS3 and Blu Ray player hooked up to the telly, but they dont seem to have analogue outs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Scart to component thing which will give you S-Video type out and L-R sound which can go from aux to 3.5mm Jack. Sounds like with no digital out to start with it’s a good bet

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-5m-5-feet-SCART-to-3-x-RCA-Phono-Audio-Video-Cable-Lead-Wire-Gold-Plugs-/291074116430?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

AlexSimon

Are you sure it’s a scart output from telly? If so then I would do as mikewsmith says above. But it’s not a very common output from a telly.

RustySpanner

Good point!
    A SCART to phono would work cheaply.

The TV does have a TOSLINK audio out, btw, but I’ve no optical input on the Denon.

winston_dog
    Free Member

If so then I would do as mikewsmith says above. But it’s not a very common output from a telly.

SCART is bi-directional. The sockets both transmit and receive signals, so it should work.

SCART

RustySpanner

It’s marked as IN/OUT RGB on the telly and comes with an adaptor which connects to a SCART lead.

Only used it as an input with a console, but assume if marked as IN/OUT it would act as such?

Not in the TV manual, btw!

Thanks, will give it a go.

winston_dog
    Free Member

It’s marked as IN/OUT RGB

That would seem to be the video only, especially when you say it has an adaptor. Any pics?

AlexSimon

winston – true it has the capability of being bidirectional, but many aren’t. Also true of cables – some don’t have all the pins connected.

Also, there’s a chance that only the TV tuner will output over the scart, not any external sources (PS3 and BD player). Not definite, but there are definitely some tvs that don’t route inputs to output.
    Mind you – it’s about £2 to try 🙂

Edit – the RGB could just indicate that it is RGB compatible (some are just composite), so may still support audio. But if it’s not in the manual you may have to just try.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Done similar with the TOS link box shown.
    Got it as the TV speakers were poo. Got it connected to an old pioneer amp and some wharfdale speakers.
    Sounds MUCH better, the only downside is I’ve got no remote for the volume now, but if I have the TV switched to the PVR I can use the volume control on that its fine.
    You can find those boxes on Amazon for about a tenner HERE

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Re the Scart – well worth trying. On old TV’s there was definitely audio and video out but on a new one you’ll only know by trying. Cheap enough to be worth a go.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’ve got the optical to phono converter above for my TV to amp connection. Works well.

RustySpanner

The output looks like this:

Whist looking for that image, I found a thread on avforums which seems to confirm it works. 🙂

Thanks all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘AV help. Optical to phono.’ is closed to new replies.